This Forum Needs A "clean Up"

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

What should we do about "Broken" pinned threads?

• Total voters
i agree some of the pined threads have missing pictures or videos,or outdated info,what if we did this on of the mods could ask a member to "redo" a pinned topic say its on a mollys fry cycle,then the member could do a nice write up with photos that wont get deleted due to a in active account on a photo sharing website,and if its a good thing then that mod in charge of a section to clean up will give the ok and then maybe replace to old pinned thing,sorry if this is a random idea but,

i do agree the pinned things really need to be cleaned up to the point where a new member can actually get 100% of the info from it

Well, I'll give truck 50% for the guess. A coral of the week thread is a worth pin if it's this weeks thread. But... Follow that link and you'll find 12 "coral of the week" threads pinned. At least 11 of them are out-of-date and no longer pin-worthy as they've been archived. Surely they need unpinning to tidy up, before you look at fixing links in the stuff that is pin-worthy. Otherwise, your just going to be checking threads that are going to be removed later, and hence wasting your time...

Well, I'll give truck 50% for the guess. A coral of the week thread is a worth pin if it's this weeks thread. But... Follow that link and you'll find 12 "coral of the week" threads pinned. At least 11 of them are out-of-date and no longer pin-worthy as they've been archived. Surely they need unpinning to tidy up, before you look at fixing links in the stuff that is pin-worthy. Otherwise, your just going to be checking threads that are going to be removed later, and hence wasting your time...
Okay, I can see where you are coming from.

But I am really talking about the Pinned articles, ones like the DIY... or info on fish that NEEDS to stay.

Competitions, "coral of the week," etc... are pinned because they are there for all to see, but yes, once the week is up and a new coral tank is decided, then the previous should be deleted.

There are SO many good pinned threads on here that have lost their meaning because of missing info. Articles like breeding certain fish for an example.

It just needs to be fixed.

If these "broken" pinned articles remain, then I am afraid that this forum is going to just keep looking messier and messier as time goes on. If I were a Mod, I would be already asking the OP to update their info.

-FHM

This is always an ongoing effort with any forum. The input is appreciated, these ideas will be discuused by the mods & admins.

Hi all. I agree with what you are all posting. Technology and science change. Links get broken. People do not renew their photograph repository websites.

Unpinned threads are not an issue. I agree that pinned ones are. I DO think that it is a moderator issue to oversee. I DO agree that member input and contribution can help. Contacting individual moderators in the particular forum is the best way to go. I thought about starting to pin a 'broken link' thread but on second thought, I think that will just get messy.

Recommendation: Those of you who find broken links in pinned threads or TRULY outdated information, notify your section moderator with the title, initial thread starter and link. The moderator should then be able to either take action or delegate the work to a member if that member desires to take it on as a project and upgrade the thread. If you don't get a response, you can return here and notify the staff.

PS: I agree. A coral of the week is uh...oh....nevermind. I'll fix that. SH

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/318272-coral-of-the-week/

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/318275-marine-fish-of-the-week/

SH

Thank you for bringing those unarchived pins to our attention, they are in the process of being archived. :)

maybe get trinny and susannah in to tidy up? :lol:

i would update many of the planted stuff, but most people dont bother to read it and ask stupid questions anyway. whats the point in pinned articles if people dont want to read them.
Then theres the search function. PLEASE use it, its there to help all of us. when i see 4 or 5 topics on the same thing on one page (after clicking view new topics) it becomes a joke. :/

but anything that gets posted up in the planted sections soon gets 'shouted down' by the 2WPG club anyway.

i would update many of the planted stuff, but most people dont bother to read it and ask stupid questions anyway.
but anything that gets posted up in the planted sections soon gets 'shouted down' by the 2WPG club anyway.

Agree with both of your comments, someone with the equivalent of 2WPG yesterday was so called low light according to another member, in my eyes this is Very high, was shot down for that, also the fact that Co2 is more than likely needed when light is in excess of 2WPG, again, the 2 WPG crew come along and tell us that it's not needed, mainly those from outside the UK if I am honest. Cannot believe some peoples narrow mindedness, I agree that the pins need some work, especially those on algae.

Then theres the search function. PLEASE use it, its there to help all of us. when i see 4 or 5 topics on the same thing on one page (after clicking view new topics) it becomes a joke. :/

But surely if everyone used the search to answer their questions, the forum would be rendered completely dead? The plant section is hardly overflowing with new topics, it might get a bit irritating but irritating traffic is better than no traffic at all.

Most reactions

trending

Back