Thinking On Buy Shrimp

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Asteria

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have a 20 liter sitting around not doing anything, and i came across some shrimp, now i'm thinking of possibly buying some

But then i saw the price D:
Shrimp

Is that good pricing or bad?

I have a 20 liter sitting around not doing anything, and i came across some shrimp, now i'm thinking of possibly buying some

Shrimp

terrible, at my LFS shrimp are £3 or less each, and thats just when you buy them individually, theyre even cheaper buying them in bulk

Shrimp

terrible, at my LFS shrimp are £3 or less each, and thats just when you buy them individually, theyre even cheaper buying them in bulk

Holy @#%!!! I've EATEN less expensive shrimp!!!!
Erm....only we call them prawns.....and they're seafood.....

Shrimp

Holy @#%!!! I've EATEN less expensive shrimp!!!!
Erm....only we call them prawns.....and they're seafood.....

they might be cheaper, ive never brought any, only looked at the price while looking at other fish

Shrimp can cost pretty much anything you want depending on variety, from cheapo cherries at about 50p a pop to thousands of dollars per shrimp for ultra rare strains.

Haha yeah thats expensive, but i was wondering if like they were rareish ones so thats why the high price.
and the others are like 20 euros for 10.

The only ones i can get from the LFS are just plain white/see through. and they are like 50 cent each XD

I was wanting something more colourful

Haha yeah thats expensive, but i was wondering if like they were rareish ones so thats why the high price.

The only ones i can get from the LFS are just plain white/see through. and they are like 50 cent each XD

The ones you are looking at (or at least the photo they have posted) is of a Crystal Red Shrimp. They come in different grades and prices, depending on their color shades and patterns - a bit like Koi in Japan. They are fairly expensive here in Australia because they are a cold water shrimp (often need chillers here to keep them) and because our quarantine laws rival Forte Knox for strictness :sad: - people who have managed to get hold of them do so because they want to breed and sell to make money - people can't just import them if they don't like the price. My sister had paid $70 AUD for 10 lower grade CRS recently which is relatively cheap considering. If you google Crystal Red Shrimp grades, you'll get an idea of the prices you can expect for the different grades. As a general guide: the less red and the more evenly spaced/shaped the patterning, the more expensive the shrimp. Happy Hunting :)

Neocaridina Heteropoda are probably the most colourful shrimp you can get without having to pay a lot for them. The Cherry shrimp of this type are sold for about $3.00 each. They are easy to breed and you can also breed them into other colours. I have blue, plum, brown, orange, yellow, green and tiger variations. This is achieved by selectively breeding the colours you want for a few generations.

Okays sounds good :D

I think Cherry shrimp might be my best bet.

Though i rather like the crystal red, haha i have too expensive tastes

Crystal Reds are beautiful but they don't do so well in small tanks,possibly because of the greater fluxuations in water parameters and the fact that the higher grade crystal reds are so inbred they have very little genetic diversity left. Cherry shrimp are the way to go for a first time shrimp keeper, they are hardy, breed readily and don't need a thousand special bits and pieces just to keep them alive. I have a thriving population of cherry shrimp now and am introducing them to my other tanks to see which fish can't or don't eat them. My goal to is to keep the various tank populations seperate and see if any interesting colours occur and get established by not constently reintroducing other cherry shrimp.

There is also a yellow variety of cherry shrimp they are reported to be just as hardy as the red and are just as pretty with their lemony yellow shells.

If you get some shrimp, you wont regret it, infact they can be the begining of a whole new aquatic condtion called Shrimp Keeper :lol: .

Neocaridina Heteropoda are probably the most colourful shrimp you can get without having to pay a lot for them. The Cherry shrimp of this type are sold for about $3.00 each. They are easy to breed and you can also breed them into other colours. I have blue, plum, brown, orange, yellow, green and tiger variations. This is achieved by selectively breeding the colours you want for a few generations.

Just out of curiosity, what do you look for in the original parents when looking to breed say blue or green in Cherry shrimp? I mean, what physical indicators tell you "this one would be good to begin breeding a different color from"? I'd be interested to breed a blue or plum or green:hyper:

Could you please post some pictures of your various cherry varieties? I have seen some of the yellows that are available in Australia and the odd blue (very rare) but I have not seen green. Also I think I may have plum coloured but I haven't seen any good pictures to compare mine too.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back