Thinking of starting a cichlid tank... In a 100 litre?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Tttay89

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi I have a spare tank which I am thinking of having a cichlid only set up consisting of maybe a tropheus duboisi, julidochromis and maybe a couple labidchromis. I'd be happy with just 3 or 4 fish in there to not overstock it. Main question is.. Although small as juvenile and no worry of overstocking at this size would the tank dimensions be too small for when they do grow to adulthood around 10cm I believe, even if I only have 3 or 4 in there.
I think the tank is around 70cm long, 40cm high and maybe 40cm front to back.

All that I know is that there are a lot of recommendations to overstock cichlids to control aggression, as well as territories and hiding places and breaking up lines of sight.

With a tank that size all of this would probably be quite difficult to achieve.

Too small for those species, with Africans its best to have groups of the same species rather than individual specimens. In a 100 liter tank you should look at Tanganikan Shell Dwellers :) very cool little fish that will be very happy in a 100 liters.

Wills :)

You could also do a community tank with a pair of rams. Tank mates would vary if you chose the German Blues or the Bolivians.

Which type of cichlid depends on how hard your water is. Shell dwellers need hard water while rams of both species need soft water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back