Thinking Of Re-Scaping My 425 Litre Tank... Help, Advice, Ideas Please

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

dawsss18

Reaction score
Ok, so i've been looking at a lot of tanks on this forum and they look amazing! i like how mine looks but i have no plants! i think plants might be what its missing to get my tank looking a lot better.Ā 
Ā 
I have a few questions first if you guys could please answer:
Ā 
1. Can i change the gravel for sand with out upsetting the fish and with out losing all the bacterial?
Ā 
2. Will my fire eel just uproot all the plants when it digs and burrows?Ā 
Ā 
3. I have no idea about plants, so could you guys suggest some pants that will go with my fish? (see fish stock list below) -Ā I had some plants in my smaller tank but my pleco, or maybe other fish, kept eating the leaves :(
Ā 
4a. How easy is it to re-scape with the water and fish still in the tank? will it upset the fish?
4b. If it will upset the fish, how can i go about re-scaping without having to sell all my fish and re-stock after? Will they be alright if i put them in buckets while i re-scape?
Ā 
5. How easy are the plants to maintain? ... Do they need special lighting or anything?Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
Stock list (fish i will be keeping)
  • One Sailfin Pleco - roughly 8-10 inch long.
  • One fire eel - roughly 10 inch long
  • one Black Ghost Knife - about 4 inch long
  • OneĀ calico convict
  • One chocolate cichlid
  • OneĀ female Festae cichlid
  • Golden gouramiĀ 
Stock list (fish im planning on buying)
  • two red spotted serverum's
  • one or two more gourami (possible blue ones)Ā 
Ā 
I've also got a hug bit of wood and a few big rocks, i will be getting more rocks probably as i re-scape.
Ā 
Many thanks in advance.
Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
Ā 

Tbh the Fire Eel should have sand otherwise when it burrows into the gravel it can cause all sorts of lesions which can become infected and cause lots of problems! He will undoubtedly uproot a lot of plants especially as he grows but you could place rocks around the base of the plants to help keep them secure.
My Fire Eel is in a tank just filled with tons of bogwood and slate caves with massive java ferns attached. Solves the rooting problem. The Sailfin will probably start crushing more delicate plants too..

Sophie said:
Tbh the Fire Eel should have sand otherwise when it burrows into the gravel it can cause all sorts of lesions which can become infected and cause lots of problems! He will undoubtedly uproot a lot of plants especially as he grows but you could place rocks around the base of the plants to help keep them secure.
My Fire Eel is in a tank just filled with tons of bogwood and slate caves with massive java ferns attached. Solves the rooting problem. The Sailfin will probably start crushing more delicate plants too..
Ā 
Thanks for the reply.. I know I reacently ready that the fire eel should be in sand or something a lot softer, which is why im planning on changing to sand. would love to see how you've got your tank looking, do you have any photos of it? :)Ā 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back