Thinking of keeping Cichlids

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PunkRock050

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
When I get my 55gal up and running Im debating on wether or not I want to have Cichlids or Freshwater Barracudas.

The only Cichlids I really like are Electric Blue Haps, Green Terrors, and Red or Blue Zebras. Theres probably a couple more out there, but not many. Do Cichlids have to have a lower Ph than community fish, and are they more aggressive? I know I cant keep the Barracuda with them, so thats why I have to choose one or the other.

I would also like to keep a dragon fish and/or rope fish in that tank, and maybe even some freshwater puffers.

Its going to be a prety heavily planted tank, am I going to have to worry about the Cichlids "rearranging" everything? Or is that just the Dempseys?

I was also thinking of keeping some Turqoise Severums, what are your takes on those?

i dont like severums. lol but they are ok. barracudas i cant find never had but i think jack dempseys are the best starter cichlids. lol your choice man.lol

most cichlids will destroy the live plants. i have had tons of diff cichlids they all destroyed the plants. they dont mix man

Hey PuckRock,

Can I suggest that you buy a good water test kit. I would find out what your water parameters(ph, KH, GH) are and go from there. There are SO MANY cichlids out there---most are from SA, CA, and African...and they require different types of water. I have very hard well water, ph 8.6, GH, KH=400ppm!!! I use to try to keep a lot of the SA and CA..but they didn't do well. I now keep mostly Tanganyikans(African cichlids) and they do great. One of the better test kits is the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals--you can get one from www.bigalsonline.com for a good price. It sounds like you are just starting out. I always tell everyone that is just starting out to get to know their water and learn about the Nitrogen cycle..your fish will thank you for it

I know a fair amount about the cycles and stuff already, I have a 29 gallon thats doing really well right now. I plan on getting another 55 gallon and maybe later another 55 after that. One would probably just be a purely planted tank, I think those are really cool.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back