Thinking Of Growing Some Veg At The New House

Curiosity101

Is now at University! :D
Reaction score
It's not something I'd ever considered before but I'm really into the idea now. Gonna get a few long tubs to go outside to grow veg in. And there is a triangular section of the garden which is bare so I presume the landlord wouldn't mind me digging around in that and growing some veg there too.

Thought it'd make a nice change and help us eat more seasonal veg so do more seasonal cooking :)

What does everyone else grow? And is it ok to use horse manure as opposed to buying compost? Or would you say, lay a think layer of manure and then top it with compost?
Any tips would be appreciated as this'll be the first time I've tried to grow anything. I may even see if I can snaffle my grans plastic greenhouse which is currently being used to shelter some wood from rain :huh:

my mum and dad have 5 veg patches in their garden and the fresh veg tastes amazing :good:

always be prepared, mum says, especially of wild life! Get netting with tiny holes in and buy repellents for insects (i think they are just like slug pellets but not sure). I had a courgette plant, potted in my garden, was really proud of it until I saw a rabbit pulling it out :crazy: still not sure how a rabbit got in my garden but it had a field day :lol:

I know my mum's fencing around her veg is dug about a foot or more under the earth. But it is a very good idea, they grow all the essential veg and never spend a penny buying.

Hmm, I don't think most animals will be a problem. Birds and insects will be the only two I can see myself having an issue with. So I'll definitely look into what insecticides there are that are safe to use... although obviously I'd like to avoid using any if possible.

Atm I'm trying to think what I'd like to grow... so far I've decided on cherry tomatos, normal tomatos and bell peppers, plus possible some sort of salad leaves plant. I've been looking on marshalls-seeds.co.uk for idea.
I really wanted to grow my own pumpkin but I've missed the deadline :(
I actually quite like pumpkin and was looking forwards to cooking with it aswell as turning it into a lantern. lol. :D
Might just have to buy one instead.

courgettes are good, grow massive too! Taste lovely when cut up and grilled :good:

I'd forgotten about courgettes, I do like them :) I was also thinking of planting a black berry bush (starting as seeds). I've got the perfect place for it (in that bare triangle of the garden). Then all the other veg n stuff can go against the wall of the house in those long planter tubs.

I also thought about potatos, carrots n peas etc. But figured potatos take quite a bit of room so that's a no no. N not sure how many carrots we honestly eat... Peas though... Hmm.

my mum has a 3ft by 5ft plot for potatoes, she grows the smaller kind but again, like you said it's room.

how about runner beans? they grow up as vines, so not much space needed below.

Hmm possibly. Just trying to think what we regularly eat... onions are a big one. But they're so cheap at the super market and again take quite a bit of space when growing...
Hmm spring onions might be a good idea :)

So the list so far...
Normal tomatos
Cherry tomatos
Courgette
Various lettuces/salad leaves
Bell peppers
Spring onions
A small herb box inside
and poss a blackberry bush

Tbh as a new gardener I think that'll keep me plenty busy enough lol. And I'm vaguely aware that growing all this stuff requires slightly more effort than just planting and watering, particularly the tomatos. But gotta start somewhere :D

Anything else you can think of... veg wise that is easy/probably something worth trying...

hi, we have 14 raised beds and we only have every had problems with brassicas. if you don't have a net then the caterpillars will destroy them, and if you do have a net, but it touches the plants at all the butterflies will lay eggs through the net. the best veg we grow is the courgette. we have 6 plants and we eat them all the time (there are 5 in our family) and we still have 12 waiting to be eaten, not counting the ones still on the plant. i think we're going to cut down to 4 plants next year as we have way too many. we have 3 beds of potatoes (first earlies, second earlies and main crop) which are also doing well, we've eaten the bed of first earlies and we had about 20 meals from it. we have a bed of salad stuff with carrots, radish, beetroot, spring onions and lettuce (we're going to grow romaine lettuce next year as it is way better for you [google iceberg vs romaine lettuce and look at the nutrition levels]). rhubarb is really good as well, we have 3 plants and our freezer is full of it! just make sure you have no long grass/weeds near it as you may get potato stem borers which ruin the crop. onions are also great. we have 2 beds of onions 1 of red and one of white. dwarf beans are great, we have one bed, and the ones we froze from last year kept us going for months, we've only just eaten them all.

if you don't have a greenhouse then i wouldn't grow tomatoes or peppers as they don't grow very well. we used to grow them when we didn't have one and we only seemed to get one or 2 tomatoes every other day from half a dozen plants.

atomic chillies :lol: they can grow in a small plant pot, although, they will blow your head off :lol:

if you don't have a greenhouse then i wouldn't grow tomatoes or peppers as they don't grow very well. we used to grow them when we didn't have one and we only seemed to get one or 2 tomatoes every other day from half a dozen plants.

Is it worth trying with the 'plastic/vinyl' greenhouses? Or just, if you don't have a greenhouse probably isn't worth it?

Oh and thanks for the reminder! Beetroot is going on the list! And thanks for the rough amounts of how many you grow vs family size. That's be really useful :)

not an issue for everyone, my mum and i grow cherry tomatoes in normal plant pots outside, never an issue for us. Obviously if the weather gets cold, they'd have to be moved somewhere warmer. mind you, they may grow slower but the 2 plants i have, i get a good 12 odd from them each.

you can pick up one of those shelved greenhouses from a garden center for £30 or from ebay for cheaper ebay link

you can also get a cover like the one on this link

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
you can pick up one of those shelved greenhouses from a garden center for £30 or from ebay for cheaper ebay link

They're the ones I was trying to describe. Maybe I'll just try one set of tomatos in there own pot then, so they can come inside if neccesary. And if they don't work I can say I tried. :)

Tbh it really will depend on when things need planting and when they're harvested... cause I'm only there sep - end of June... July + Aug I'm back home so I can't plant or harvest anything during that time.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back