Thinking Of Going Saltwater But......?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

giant19000

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi im thinking of changing my 125 freshwater gallon tank but my question is, is it fair to get rid of my fish that ive raised as babies??? Im not the person that usually gets something and doesn care much about it later in and gets rid of em im more on the attached side but I also want a saltwater tank wat do yiu thinki mean the part thst gets too me is how much my fish are used to me now it doesnt bother them that I put my hand inside and go around my fingers lol

I been in the same situation. Try to find your fish another home that should ease the guilt.

I just recently took down a saltwater tank and came back to fw planted.. The fish are beautiful in saltwater tanks, however the amount of care it requires is a lot, along with cost. I also think a well done FW planted looks more natural in an aqiarum then a reef tank does. Dont get me wrong, a well done reef tank can be nice, but just think if you want to be spending a ton more money and spending a lot more time on the tank.

id personally stay fresh, unless u have TONS of free time and money on your hands and also u have raised those FW fish from fry!

Planted tank can be just as difficult as marine TBH.

Not sure why you say you need "tons" of free time on your hands to keep a salty tank - weekly waterchanges, cleaning skimmer, and wiping the glass down every few days doesn't take up much time. Really it's on par with tropical, though admittedly you clean the skimmer cup more regularly than your filter!

I'm comic back to fresh. I had a folr a coral reef and an invert tank running at the same time and somehow not divorced. Once everything was set I got a rodi water filter and monitored once a week everything was fine. When I took my new job at any given point I can double my hours and well I lost everything but the folr tank. Now I'm moving so I need to find people to get my fish break down everything replace the drywall around the tank from salt buildup. If you don't have overwhelming funds and ample time I would advise staying fresh or doing fish only live rock.

I just recently took down a saltwater tank and came back to fw planted.. The fish are beautiful in saltwater tanks, however the amount of care it requires is a lot, along with cost. I also think a well done FW planted looks more natural in an aqiarum then a reef tank does. Dont get me wrong, a well done reef tank can be nice, but just think if you want to be spending a ton more money and spending a lot more time on the tank.

i can't quote this enough... I recently switched back to FW planted after keeping a saltwater tank because I was tired of the constant maintanence along with the super expensive cost. As much as I love the beautiful fish and how different they are (some real oddballs i might add), i just couldn't stand spending so much money all the time along with the amount of care one needs. If i ever have infinite amounts of money i will go back (along with a very large tank since they are easier to tend to and you can get cooler fish). But for now, I love my FW planted tanks... i can plant my entire 29 gallon tank for the cost of one Nice piece of coral. and stock it full of fish for the price of one nice fish haha.

Saltwater is a lot of work. Ive got 2 nanos, reef and invert only. Personally id stay fresh.

Planted tank can be just as difficult as marine TBH.

Not sure why you say you need "tons" of free time on your hands to keep a salty tank - weekly waterchanges, cleaning skimmer, and wiping the glass down every few days doesn't take up much time. Really it's on par with tropical, though admittedly you clean the skimmer cup more regularly than your filter!
Well thats a matter of opinion.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back