Thinking of doing a guppy tank!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

katienewbettakeeper

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So, Iā€™ve only kept bettas but Iā€™m wanting to branch out. I have very hard water and recently learned guppies do good in hard water! So I definitely wanna try them

Iā€™m thinking of doing a 20 gallon, heavily planted tank. For stocking I want to do all males, because I donā€™t want to deal with overpopulation. How many males would be good? Iā€™m thinking 6 to 10, Iā€™ll probably also add cherry shrimp bc I have a five gallon full of them, and a mystery snail.

If anyone has different stocking ideas or just advice on keeping guppies let me know! I know theyā€™re pretty easy, but hearing others experiences canā€™t hurt.

I would love to have a guppy, or enders, but my water is extremely soft. I have no advice because I have never kept them but I find getting fish to breed adds a whole new element to the hobby, so I would probably go with the mix of male and female.

So, Iā€™ve only kept bettas but Iā€™m wanting to branch out. I have very hard water and recently learned guppies do good in hard water! So I definitely wanna try them

Iā€™m thinking of doing a 20 gallon, heavily planted tank. For stocking I want to do all males, because I donā€™t want to deal with overpopulation. How many males would be good? Iā€™m thinking 6 to 10, Iā€™ll probably also add cherry shrimp bc I have a five gallon full of them, and a mystery snail.

If anyone has different stocking ideas or just advice on keeping guppies let me know! I know theyā€™re pretty easy, but hearing others experiences canā€™t hurt.
Your plan is a good one. Go for it! People here report guppies being fragile these days due to mass production. Buy from as good a source as you can.

Your plan is a good one. Go for it! People here report guppies being fragile these days due to mass production. Buy from as good a source as you can.
Yay! I read that endlers are hardier so I might do them instead, I donā€™t have any good fish stores near me. Itā€™s either PetSmart or ordering online for me. If you have any recommendation for places to buy fish online that would be helpful!

I have male endlers. They are pretty and active. I can't recommend anywhere as I'm not in the US but plenty of other members are....

guppies 2 pea puffers and a bunch of shrimp
both guppies and pea puffers will eat dry blood worms
and whenever you want some population control just feed the tank hikari micro pellets...
pea puffers won't touch the pellets so they'll start population control
as for fish...buy the fattest biggest guppy you can find that looks pregnant...thats all the guppies you need...
look at rasboras...there's some decent looking ones
and the craze right now is probably around bristle-nose plecos
people trying to get them to look as much red as they can
and they're somewhat small and not that expensive
also a fish that would keep pea puffers in check and stop them from fin-nipping other fish would be rainbow forktails
a single female will push pea puffers around the tank if they start looking funny at top swimmers like guppies xD
the male forktail is the one that looks nicer but isnt as aggressive as females
none of these fish will eat grown shrimp so if you have enough hiding spots and some cholla wood for the shrimp they'll do fine

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back