Thinking Of Doing A 100Gal Fish Only?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

snowflake311

Fish nerd
Reaction score
I have been keeping fish for a long time over 14 years now. I have kept fresh water Shrimp, Discus, Large South american Cichlids and many other. I have bred bettas and had a few other types of fish spawn for me. I have a 80Gal Planted Tank that is growing very well for years now. 

My favorite fish passed away in my 100 gal and I am thinking of trying saltwater. But I am scared of all the extras. Seems like with Saltwater there is a lot of extra stuff needed.  

I don't really want to deal with live rock and I don't want to have to get crazy expensive lights. So a reef tank is not in my near future. How will it work to have a fish only tank with no live rock or many just very little live rock. 

Salt water is all new to me I know some stuff but still have lots to learn. What would be some good starter fish for a fish only 100 Gal tank? 

Do I have to have a sump? Is a protein skimmer and power head all I need that is extra? I have canister filters and a powerhead somewhere. 

Is saltwater worth it? 

Some of my best friends are saltwater folks... 

As I understand it... LRFO (live rock, fish only) is the easiest way to get started... but once you start, you might branch out... or you might get some hitchhikers in the live rock.   

Good luck on the salty side of the hobby.  :good:   (btw, you can acclimatize mollies to full marine)

I have a fish only tank (very little live rock) i just have has "extras" the protein skinner and the powerhead. I have no sump or refrigum and I use LED lights but if you have no live rock or corala any light ahould be fine. And has stayed mollies can be acclimated to saltwater. I do have a nano tank thought so to whatbi hear it is easlier to have a sump and such for largwr tank.

You want live rock and live sand even in a fish only tank for the biological filtration. They are expensive but well worth it. I am sure it is possible to do one without the rock but you would be doing large water changes and salt is really expensive and it would be a challenge to keep the salinity and pH stable. 

Ok now I am looking for Live rock it seems like it could be fun to have as well as good for the tank. I am looking for someone that is looking to break down their tank and I can just buy all the rock and stuff off them and put it in my tank. That is my plan. SO the search is on. I also need to sell off or rehome my freshwater fish too. I would rather find them homes than drop them at the LFS . 

You can mail me your plants if they need a home... :whistle:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back