Thinking of converting to reef

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Galvin88

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey guys,
So i currently have a 64g freshwater tank running, and im currently contemplating changing over to a reef tank.
What rough cost am i looking to make the change as i already have the tank.
Equipment, sand,coral, rock ect.
I know i can just google it all but i would rather see what you guys that are in the know say.

Hehe, A LOT. In all seriousness, it is very expensive to run a reef tank.

A 64g is a nice size for a beginner reef tank, as it leaves a lot of room for stocking and it also has more volume, meaning more stable parameters.

—-

Are you wanting to do a FOWLR (Fish Only With Live Rock) or a mixed reef tank? (That’s softies, LPS, and SPS)

—-

I would check out BRS (Bulk Reef Supply) on YouTube. They have some awesome videos for beginners on there.

—-

You also need to consider if you want to get a new AIO (All In One) system or keep your current tank.

Having a sump for the size of tank you have is a great idea. Much better than a canister or a HOB.

If you were to get a AIO, it usually comes with a fully plumped sump, lights, stand, and the tank.

—-

Please ask if you have any questions.

Hehe, A LOT. In all seriousness, it is very expensive to run a reef tank.

A 64g is a nice size for a beginner reef tank, as it leaves a lot of room for stocking and it also has more volume, meaning more stable parameters.

—-

Are you wanting to do a FOWLR (Fish Only With Live Rock) or a mixed reef tank? (That’s softies, LPS, and SPS)

—-

I would check out BRS (Bulk Reef Supply) on YouTube. They have some awesome videos for beginners on there.

—-

You also need to consider if you want to get a new AIO (All In One) system or keep your current tank.

Having a sump for the size of tank you have is a great idea. Much better than a canister or a HOB.

If you were to get a AIO, it usually comes with a fully plumped sump, lights, stand, and the tank.

—-

Please ask if you have any questions.
Thanks for your reply, im not really too bothered about the running costs, its more the set up cost im looking at.

I think i would go mixed reef as i would want corals , i find FOWLR a little dull.

I would keep the tank i have now, i have been reading a sump is not necessarily needed on a reef tank?

Thanks for your reply, im not really too bothered about the running costs, its more the set up cost im looking at.

I think i would go mixed reef as i would want corals , i find FOWLR a little dull.

I would keep the tank i have now, i have been reading a sump is not necessarily needed on a reef tank?
You don’t NEED a sump, but it is the preferred method, especially for a tank of that size.

Canister filters would probably be your best bet. Do you have one now?

You don’t NEED a sump, but it is the preferred method, especially for a tank of that size.

Canister filters would probably be your best bet. Do you have one now?
Yes i already have a canister, just saves a bit of money on the set up, although as ypu say a sump is better, im guessing i could upgrade in the future?

Yes i already have a canister, just saves a bit of money on the set up, although as ypu say a sump is better, im guessing i could upgrade in the future?
For a sump the tank has to drilled, as in literal hole in the bottom of the tank. You then have to have a center or corner over flow, make the sump, plumb it, figure out the return pump, etc.

It’s all very complicated for a beginner, so your canister filter might be better.

—-

This is also why an AIO system is super easy.

For a sump the tank has to drilled, as in literal hole in the bottom of the tank. You then have to have a center or corner over flow, make the sump, plumb it, figure out the return pump, etc.

It’s all very complicated for a beginner, so your canister filter might be better.

—-

This is also why an AIO system is super easy.
Yeh AIO does sound better but because i already have the tank and filter i was thinking of just converting that to save on cost

Hi,

Having kept a number of reef tanks in the past I will put my 2p worth in.

A sump is useful, it helps hide some of your equipment to run the tank, It increases overall water volume, you can use to help filter the water (more L/R ect) you could create a refugium and or a cryptic zone. A skimmer is better (IMO) than a cannister filter. Maybe in your case a HOB skimmer might be considered.

Back in the day I had M/H (metal halides) which were VERY expensive to run, now you can get dedicated Marine Leds - which I ran on later tanks.

Factor in a RODI unit and the cost of running that (water costs and replacement media), and the cost of salt all play a part.

Mixing softies/with LPS and SPS could prove problematic. I kept LPS.

Running a S/W reef is as previously advised - EXPENSIVE.

HTH

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back