Thinking Of A Small Pond?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

tropicman

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I am thinking about making a small pond in my side garden for the upcoming heatwave summer(hopefully) well i have an idea of stocking wcmm with live foods mozzie larva and daphnia and hopefully bloodworm and lots of plants :D i.e water lettuce and lilys ideas welcome :good:

Just been out to have a look at what space i have availible and i think personally it is quite big i have frm the left of the picture to the shovel to create my pond in. so ideas and welcome:good:
IMAG0045.JPG

Depends on what size yo want to make it.
White clouds look lovely in small ponds and are cheap fish.

Personally i find that LFS and garden Centre Ponds are a rip off. I tend to cut down Barrells you can get from builders to the depth i want the pond to be. Alot easir and easier to move if needed.

For my nano Pond i Used and oldThick Rubber Dustbin and just stuck it in the ground. Never had a probs with it 3 years later.

You could try Gold Zebra Danios, I have them outdoors and they are very active and look lovely when the sun catches them.

Use some wood 4"x4" or railroad ties as an outside frame around the concrete and then put the liner up and over the top of the wood. This will keep runoff from the house (paint oxidation, paint chips, roofing shingle run-off, etc., out of your pond) Do you have a gutter on the roof above that area? If no gutter, at least install flashing as a runoff barrier to direct the rain water to either side of the pond.

It looks to be about 30" wide and at least 6' long from what I can see so if you go 24"-30" deep, your pond would be 225G+. You could actually go with a couple of comet goldfish if you wanted. Of course if you will not have a filter system, you would need lots of plants. If the area is open to kids, you might have to put a 24" high safety fence around it.

I agree, sleeepers and a liner would be the easiest option and most asthaetic option for you.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back