Thinking About Otocinclus

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I keep a group of otos in 6 of my tanks and they are great little fish, always working and always so full of personality.

I find that my group always eagerly take algae tablets, particularly ones with spirulina in as well. They have also been quite happy to take home made duck weed and spirulina food that I've made in the past when I followed a video recipe on YouTube.

Something else I tried with some success was taking a sealed jar of their tank water and putting in direct sunlight to allow algae to grow, then emptying the water out and placing the jar into the tank.

I keep a group of otos in 6 of my tanks and they are great little fish, always working and always so full of personality.

I find that my group always eagerly take algae tablets, particularly ones with spirulina in as well. They have also been quite happy to take home made duck weed and spirulina food that I've made in the past when I followed a video recipe on YouTube.

Something else I tried with some success was taking a sealed jar of their tank water and putting in direct sunlight to allow algae to grow, then emptying the water out and placing the jar into the tank.
Ooh, thanks for the tips.

What about keeping a large tub of tank water out in the sunlight for algae growth? And would you start doing it around this time of year?

Ooh, thanks for the tips.

What about keeping a large tub of tank water out in the sunlight for algae growth? And would you start doing it around this time of year?
You don't have to go through all of that trouble, again, just let your tank mature naturally, with 8 hours or so of lighting a day...

You don't have to go through all of that trouble, again, just let your tank mature naturally, with 8 hours or so of lighting a day...
Ahaha sorry if I'm going over the top. I'm just wary that I won't have enough algae for them to live off of by the time I'd like to get them. I'm such a worry wart.

Ahaha sorry if I'm going over the top. I'm just wary that I won't have enough algae for them to live off of by the time I'd like to get them. I'm such a worry wart.
Understood....the EASIEST thing, which I think was already mentioned, would be to pick out some river stones or rocks that you like, and let them sit out in a pail of water in the sunlight...but that should only take a few weeks to get them algae coated...then place them in your tank

Understood....the EASIEST thing, which I think was already mentioned, would be to pick out some river stones or rocks that you like, and let them sit out in a pail of water in the sunlight...but that should only take a few weeks to get them algae coated...then place them in your tank
We do actually have a little water feature that's got rocks absolutely covered in algae out in the back garden... It's been sitting dormant for two years though, so I'm not sure if the rocks would be suitable for the tank.

What do you think?

We do actually have a little water feature that's got rocks absolutely covered in algae out in the back garden... It's been sitting dormant for two years though, so I'm not sure if the rocks would be suitable for the tank.

What do you think?
Eh....I'd be afraid of nasties that may be on them (disease or pests)...I'd rather make my own, in a controlled environment (bucket)....you wouldn't even need the bucket outdoors, a sunny window would work

Eh....I'd be afraid of nasties that may be on them (disease or pests)...I'd rather make my own, in a controlled environment (bucket)....you wouldn't even need the bucket outdoors, a sunny window would work
I'll go with that then. Would I be set back at all if I just started now instead of later? I'll probably do it with water from a change next week.

I'll go with that then. Would I be set back at all if I just started now instead of later? I'll probably do it with water from a change next week.
Nah, you can do it now, if you wish...doesn't even have to be tank water, just conditioned tap...whatever is easier for you

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back