Thinking About Otocinclus

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PlasticGalaxy

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
My LFS has some otos currently, and I am, as always, getting a little antsy with the idea of just having guppies in my 54L (60x30x30cm).

I'm opposed to having a BNP since the tank is too small, but I'd like to have something other than guppies in this tank. Would a group of otocinclus be a good idea?

In terms of algae growth and plants, the tank is very clean, but sits directly in front of my bedroom window and already has some (insubstantial) algae growth. Any thoughts?

My LFS has some otos currently, and I am, as always, getting a little antsy with the idea of just having guppies in my 54L (60x30x30cm).

I'm opposed to having a BNP since the tank is too small, but I'd like to have something other than guppies in this tank. Would a group of otocinclus be a good idea?

In terms of algae growth and plants, the tank is very clean, but sits directly in front of my bedroom window and already has some (insubstantial) algae growth. Any thoughts?
you should be careful, because some are caught in the wild and wont accept wafers and whatever... they will probably take algae

Otos belong in well-established tanks only, they CONSTANTLY graze on algae, and if there isn't enough, they'll starve....they're usually starving at the shop before you even get them, because many people don't know this, and throw them into any tank that's available...

you should be careful, because some are caught in the wild and wont accept wafers and whatever... they will probably take algae
I was thinking about that...
Otos belong in well-established tanks only, they CONSTANTLY graze on algae, and if there isn't enough, they'll starve....they're usually starving at the shop before you even get them, because many people don't know this, and throw them into any tank that's available...
I'll definitely be waiting a long time. It might be for later this year once the tank is established and I've got money to spend. Hopefully early Autumn or something like that.

Is there any way to boost algae levels in the tank? I'm thinking about getting some more plants for it soon but for now it's almost too clean for me.

I'll definitely be waiting a long time. It might be for later this year once the tank is established and I've got money to spend. Hopefully early Autumn or something like that.

Is there any way to boost algae levels in the tank? I'm thinking about getting some more plants for it soon but for now it's almost too clean for me.
boosting algae: put it near a window
dont use exess ferts, thats dangerous

Increase your lighting duration...it doesn't have to be COVERED in algae, by Autumn, your tank should be established and ready for them

Most otocinclus are harvested from the wild and are in poor condition when they arrive at the store. I would avoid them, I had them for several years and found them to be weak and prone to disease

Most otocinclus are harvested from the wild and are in poor condition when they arrive at the store. I would avoid them, I had them for several years and found them to be weak and prone to disease
It used to be that way...at least in the States, most are tank-bred now

Ah... That's a shame. I just find them so cute... Hopefully I can scout out some healthier looking ones when I get there.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back