Thinking about a paludarium? (And also stocking questions)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

OliveFish05

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
Hello! I currently have a 10 gallon tank in my bedroom, I adore it, I think it is lovely, but I donā€™t REALLY have any stocking options that appeal to me in this tank size. I currently have a breeding group of Tail Spot Pygmy Cories, but they will be going back into my 55 gallon tank.

ANYWAY (sorry for rambling) I was thinking about how lovely paludariums are, and how FUN I think it would be to have some non aquatic plants or something. The piece of furniture I am using as a stand is 30 inches long and 18 wide, and I was thinking of putting a 29 gallon tank there, and only filling it halfway or so. I was just wondering

1. Is it ok to only have a tank half filled?

2. Does this have any impact on its structural integrity or anything?

3. Does anyone have any good semi aquatic or non aquatic plant suggestions? I know I want bamboo!

4. If the dimensions of the WATER area were 30 inches long, 12 inches wide, and 10 to 12 inches tall, about 15 gallons, (I know the footprint of the tank is more important than water volume, but still want to make sure the water volume would be ok) would it work to have about 12 neon tetras, 12 Pygmy Cory, and 3 to 5 honey gourami?

5. Would an AquaClear 20 (I could also take my momā€™s AquaClear 50) work to suck the water up and spill over some rocks as a waterfall, or should I look into a canister filter?

6. If I need a canister filter, anyone have any good recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited:
I think my biggest question would be if the AquaClear filter would work, or is it safe to half fill a 29 gallon tank?

I've never tried it but based on what I know, I think an Aquaclear filter would work and that it's safe to half fill a tank. As far as plants, you can look at some of the plants people use in dart frog vivariums. Check out the plants on Josh's frogs for example. I would not recommend putting any dart frogs in, but some of the plants could work.

I've never tried it but based on what I know, I think an Aquaclear filter would work and that it's safe to half fill a tank. As far as plants, you can look at some of the plants people use in dart frog vivariums. Check out the plants on Josh's frogs for example. I would not recommend putting any dart frogs in, but some of the plants could work.
Ok! Thank you!!! I suppose I will go with my momā€™s extra AquaClear 50, so I have a stronger waterfall flow And more filtration

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back