Think platy pregnant

Sandy123

Reaction score
Hi not sure if my platty is pregnant if she is how long do you think to go before she has them

Attachments

• 20220331_150953.jpg
    20220331_150953.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 38
Where's the fish :)

Take a number of pictures and put them on your computer. Go through them and find a couple that clearly show the fish :)

Hi got these two she keeps moving not sure the platy in there are well tho been worried new to this thanks

Attachments

• 20220406_001844.jpg
    20220406_001844.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 20220406_001755.jpg
    20220406_001755.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 37
This is all I have don't have computer hope you can see

Attachments

• 20220406_001844.jpg
    20220406_001844.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 20220406_001755.jpg
    20220406_001755.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 27
The Mickey Mouse platy (has the black dots by the tail) looks gravid (pregnant). She is probably about half way through and it normally takes about 4 weeks for a full gestation period. So maybe in 2 weeks or so, you will have babies.

The best thing to do with gravid livebearers like platies is have lots of plants in the tank for the mother and babies to hide in. Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) is the best plant for them and normally floats on the sruface, but can also be planted in the gravel.

Feed the adults well, do big regular water changes and gravel clean the substrate, and let them do their thing.

Do not move gravid females because you can harm the females or babies if you chase them aorund or lift a heavily gravid female out of water. If you have to move the females, catch them in a net and then put a plastic container under them. Lift the container up so the fish remains in the net and in water. Then move the female to where she is going.

The Mickey Mouse platy (has the black dots by the tail) looks gravid (pregnant). She is probably about half way through and it normally takes about 4 weeks for a full gestation period. So maybe in 2 weeks or so, you will have babies.

The best thing to do with gravid livebearers like platies is have lots of plants in the tank for the mother and babies to hide in. Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) is the best plant for them and normally floats on the sruface, but can also be planted in the gravel.

Feed the adults well, do big regular water changes and gravel clean the substrate, and let them do their thing.

Do not move gravid females because you can harm the females or babies if you chase them aorund or lift a heavily gravid female out of water. If you have to move the females, catch them in a net and then put a plastic container under them. Lift the container up so the fish remains in the net and in water. Then move the female to where she is going.

Thanks I'm going to do water change tomorrow as niot sure my fish are well and buy so plants as only got plastic ones I had a guppy die today a worried about platy I put these in this just to take pic do you think they are ill thanks I'm new at this but love having fish

Attachments

• 20220405_212046.jpg
    20220405_212046.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 30
I can't really tell much from the picture due to the camera focusing on the background instead of the fish. However, the fish's fins are tail are all open and looking normal shaped so that is usually a good sign.

If you lost a fish, test the water for ammonia and nitrite and then do a 75% water change and gravel clean every day for a week. If you don't have a test kit, just do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. This will remove any ammonia, or nitrite that might be in the water, along with any disease organisms that might be in there.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

If more fish die, try to get some photos of them that are in focus and post them on here. But the biggest cause of fish deaths is poor water quality so do water changes and monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels.

I can't really tell much from the picture due to the camera focusing on the background instead of the fish. However, the fish's fins are tail are all open and looking normal shaped so that is usually a good sign.

If you lost a fish, test the water for ammonia and nitrite and then do a 75% water change and gravel clean every day for a week. If you don't have a test kit, just do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. This will remove any ammonia, or nitrite that might be in the water, along with any disease organisms that might be in there.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

If more fish die, try to get some photos of them that are in focus and post them on here. But the biggest cause of fish deaths is poor water quality so do water changes and monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels.
Had water tested was ok pH slightly up he said I have put salt in as he thought maybe stress but since I added guppy my platy in the chest hidden a lot thanks for your reply

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back