Think About Doing Salt

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Tony2099

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
 Im think about turn my 48 gallon tank to salt. What would I need to make the tank to salt. Can I do a salt water tank with out a sump tank. Ther not much roon for 1.

Thank You.

I would recommend anyway to get a sump system if going salt. Its just far easier and cheaper to deal with.

What you will need is a few powerful powerheads. A lot of live rock, a lot of live sand and a empty canister filter to add a few things that will help you. Just make sure the canister does not have media cause it makes nitrates and nitrates is a no no for a salt tank.

Lastly a skimmer is still a good thing to have but its not needed but i always use one :3

Saltwater tanks can be done sump-less, but as techen said if you can fit one and the floor will support the extra weight, it will make your tank easier to manage and more stable in the long run. The sump gives you both more stability (more volume = more stable chemistry) and an easier place to put stuff like a skimmer or a refugium, which otherwise might end up as HOB things that are harder to reach for maintenance. If you like a lot of fish, sumps can also greatly increase the bioload of a tank beyond what it would be un-sumped, although a good skimmer can also do that on an un-sumped tank. However, if your tank is not drilled, adding a sump is a more fiddly business since you would have to do an overflow box with a siphon tube. I just went through that process with my un-drilled 55gal (which is a few years old and was un-sumped until this month) and it is a non-trivial thing that requires a reasonable amount of planning. 

Sumping is probably only worth considering if you can fit at least a 15 or 20gal to have room for equipment in it. If you only have space for something like a 5gal, then you might be better off using a canister like techen mentioned for chemical media or extra rock rubble - or even skipping that altogether and just getting a really good hang-on skimmer.

Thank You for your help. I will read and look up more info about salt water. I dont know why. The more a read about salt water tank. The more ??? I have about them. LOL.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back