Thicklip Gouramis Are Nest Building

noodles

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

One of my male gourami's has build a big bubble nest and is tending to it nicely. However I think my filter current is probably slightly too strong as today it seems to have broken up a bit and he has lost interest slightly. Any tips for helping him out? Reckon there would be any chance of any babies surviving in a community tank with the parents and black neons?

His colours have almost gone black as well particularly on his tail, so much for an orange thick lipped gourami! But quite impressive though.

The females dont really seem interested at all though, they are more keen on his rival who hasn't made a bubble nest but seems to be of a more friendly nature to them. strange!

Lucky man, i'd love to breed my thick lips but i know it'd be too much hassle....
Colisa Gourami are aggressive parents, not really suited for community tank breeding, once the nest is built and the eggs laid anyone who strays too close will be scared off by the male, just thinking your tetras may end up dead. Depends how sensible they are. Although thick lips are peceful, even when breeding, compared to dwarfs (useless info).
I'm fairly sure once free swimming the fry will mostly end up as neon food.
You should try setting up a breeding tank, if you do you'll have greater success and less worries in the long run.
Adding a few floating plants may help with the nest building, or try running a tube from your filter outlet so its a little lower than it is now.
Ps; Like your name, one of my loaches is called noodles, maybe the two of you are related?
:dunno:

Lucky man, i'd love to breed my thick lips but i know it'd be too much hassle....
Colisa Gourami are aggressive parents, not really suited for community tank breeding, once the nest is built and the eggs laid anyone who strays too close will be scared off by the male, just thinking your tetras may end up dead. Depends how sensible they are. Although thick lips are peceful, even when breeding, compared to dwarfs (useless info).
I'm fairly sure once free swimming the fry will mostly end up as neon food.
You should try setting up a breeding tank, if you do you'll have greater success and less worries in the long run.
Adding a few floating plants may help with the nest building, or try running a tube from your filter outlet so its a little lower than it is now.
Ps; Like your name, one of my loaches is called noodles, maybe the two of you are related?
:dunno:

yep, I am definitely a loach....

but cheers for the help, it seems the male has now abandoned his nest! shame it was quite impressive, maybe he got hungry and couldnt be bothered. Anyway, we will see how it goes.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back