They are so wrong....

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Salty&Onion

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
They are so wrong..... No betta should be kept in community tank no matter what.

715D6B93-AD9B-4F88-8580-55C64CD4721D.jpeg

Personally I wouldn't believe anything Pets@Home say. But many people do because it's a well known brand, unfortunately.
I don't believe in anything they say because they are so wrong. Whatever they sell sets me off easily.

It seems to me that there still many fish sellers who have almost zero knowledge about fish.
I was at a nearby LFS today (10mins walk from my house).
The shop owner told me tht a Betta killed one of her Endler when she put the Betta into her Endlers tank.
I was surprised and shocked that someone who has been selling fish for probably 20years still doesnt have the basic knowledge about fish.
So I told her that Betta is an aggressive fish and it will attack and kill any small fish whenever it can.
And especially for Endlers fish that have some similarities to Betta in term of their beautiful fins and bigger tail. This will further provoke the Betta to attack them.

I was at a LFS once and saw an employee put two male bettas in the same tank. I told him not to but he ignored me. I went to another employee and told him and we went back to the tank just in time to see one betta tearing up the other one. I was surprised at just how fast bettas can be when they attack.

Pets@Home shops are run as a franchise. Each shop has its own manager. S/he won't know everything about every pet they cater for, and neither will a lot of the staff. The head office writes their info and the workers in the shop have to stick to this info even if they know it to be wrong.
And from things I have read, a store manager can run his branch the way he wants. So he has 4 staff; one keeps fish, one keeps guinea pigs, one has a dog and one has a cat. The cat owner is likely to be placed in the small animal section; the dog owner in fish; the guinea pig owner in dogs and the fish keeper in cats. Is it any wonder they have a bad reputation. But there are some good managers who let their staff work in the section they know about.

Pets@Home shops are run as a franchise. Each shop has its own manager. S/he won't know everything about every pet they cater for, and neither will a lot of the staff. The head office writes their info and the workers in the shop have to stick to this info even if they know it to be wrong.
And from things I have read, a store manager can run his branch the way he wants. So he has 4 staff; one keeps fish, one keeps guinea pigs, one has a dog and one has a cat. The cat owner is likely to be placed in the small animal section; the dog owner in fish; the guinea pig owner in dogs and the fish keeper in cats. Is it any wonder they have a bad reputation. But there are some good managers who let their staff work in the section they know about.
No wonder they have a poor reputation, they know nothing about fish which is sad. They don't even know basics.
My first betta, my heater was lost somewhere in my room, was dying because of cold water in the tank and I looked for some information in my lfs and he told me to treat him for parasites... :/
Another day in my lfs, I was getting my second betta (same as first one) I saw a dumbo ear betta literally pacing in the tank as he was put there with other fish, he wasn't attacking them but definentely stressed. It was sad to watch. Such shame for the stores.

Most reactions

Back