🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

vanalisa

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Furcata Rainbow
Information request.
Guy at LOS is new.

At the store ONLY to negotiate arrangements for Lollypop and Dario2.
20200224_123633.jpg

Some of the information in the Seriously Fish link is inaccurate and needs updating.

The following link is for information about rainbowfishes from Australia and New Guinea and was written by one the most highly regarded rainbowfish keepers in the world (Adrian Tappin).

The fish are either Pseudomugil connieae or P. furcatus. If they have a thin black line on the top and bottom edge of the caudal fin (tail), then they are P. furcatus. If they don't have the black edges to the tail they are P. connieae.

We kept and bred them in tanks that were 18 inches long x 18 inches wide x 14 inches high. They had soft water (GH around 150ppm) and a pH around 8.0. They look better in bigger tanks and a 2 foot or longer tank is better for them.

The females lay a couple of eggs each day. The eggs are deposited in plants or spawning mops and take a couple of weeks to hatch. Eggs and fry can be left with the parents if the adults are well fed, otherwise move the eggs into a hatching container and rear the fry up separately.

Get a group of at least 6 (preferably 10) of them and get some that have long fins and some with shorter fins to maximise the chance of getting males and females.

Thanks, Byron and Colin!

I like them. My local fish store has a batch and some of them have been around for three weeks now and are beginning to colour up. I can pick out at least a few of them that I am sure are males.

Unfortunately I'm not going to be getting any fish soon, but it's nice to have the information!

They are worth getting if you have a spare tank because they aren't common and don't turn up very often. They are also easy to breed but don't produce hundreds of young, so you can sell them whenever you have them. And when they colour up and start showing off, they are pretty stunning with their yellow fins waving about.

The following link is from YouTube and shows Pseudomugil furcatus.

They are worth getting if you have a spare tank because they aren't common and don't turn up very often. They are also easy to breed but don't produce hundreds of young, so you can sell them whenever you have them. And when they colour up and start showing off, they are pretty stunning with their yellow fins waving about.

The following link is from YouTube and shows Pseudomugil furcatus.
WHY tempt me?
My favorite thing about these fish is the way that they swim, they kind of squiggle and I don't think I've ever seen any other fish do that!
Big question...
These and Celestial Pearl Danios?

I have ALWAYS wanted forktail rainbows! I wish I lived near your lfs!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back