Thermometer Placement

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

danfloun

Reaction score
Hi,

Seems no one discusses this, maybe because it's unimportant or obvious, but I was wondering where to stick my thermometer (no rude replies) :)

I figured it should be furtherest away from my heater and as low as possible, but my tanks only a square 10 gallon, so think it's not going to make a difference where ever I put it.

I got a biorb digital thermometer, which says to stick it 50mm below water surface. But I want to place it low down at the back of the tank, out of sight almost. Not sure if it will stand the pressure, biorb are yet to reply to my email.

Danny

I figured it should be furtherest away from my heater and as low as possible

That tends to be what i do and i think most people do aswell.

I have two thermometers, one on each side of my tank. Everything is set to F for better accuracy, and the LCD screen on my heater says 84f, the thermometer on the right says 82F, and the one on the left says 83F. I guess that is due to the flow around my tank?

in a small tank like a 10 gallon it wont make any difference,

actually, if there is sufficient water flow it shouldnt matter where you put the thermometer no matter how big the tank is,

in my large tanks (100+ gallons) i normally use digital thermometers, i stick the sensor to the back pane of glass in one of the corners about 3 inches below the water level,

in one of my small community tanks i have the thermometer inside my HOB filter, i just pull it out once a day to check it, i keep it in there just so its out of sight

thermometers are not accurate, you will find most aquarium ones are 1 or 2c different from each other. in a small tank it makes no difference really on position as long as its not right next to the heater for obvious reasons. when I first setup my tank I went mad trying to find a correct thermometer. I bought two additional ones and even used a couple of household ones and they all read completely different temps.

Dazzer87 said:
thermometers are not accurate, you will find most aquarium ones are 1 or 2c different from each other

with most fish 1-2c wont matter anyway,

fish will become used to and comfortable with whatever temperature the tank is at consistantly within reason,

consistancy is really the main issue

I ment to electric warrior about having multiple thermometers and having minor differences in placement. they are not really accurate enough to determine minor differences in temps across the tank
smile.png
, I under stand the tolerances that fish will adapt to
smile.png

I have my heater on the back pane in the corner. My filter is next to the heater with the flow being forced into the tank. My thermometer is on the furthest corner from my heater and is about 3inchs below water. It is constantly at 27oC.

I have a square 17g with the heater next to the water pump at the back right-ish corner. I put my thermometer  on the left hand glass closest to me just so that I could easily turn around and read it.

My thermometer is at the opposite end of my tank to the heater so it's about 4 feet away. I just stuck it at a comfortable height to read it but it was out of the way. I didn't think having it lower would make that much difference to the readings to be honest. Most of them aren't 100% accurate and neither are the thermostat/thermometers in heaters so it's all just a guide anyway.

I don't even keep thermometers in my tanks 
blush.png

Thanks for the replies people, guess my own conclusion was pretty standard then.
All I need to do now is work out why I never received any mail from fishforums alerting me to this post update.

Thanks

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back