There's A Gold Mine In Your Backyard

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

juhason

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm back with more native American fish! They are my absolute favorite fish EVER, I just have to share. 
*Disclaimer* If you decide you are interested and want to collect native fish MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR STATE LAWS on collecting and taking home fish. 

Shiners/Dace:
Warpaint Shiner
PJpKx7i.jpg

Striped Shiner (Big rainbow fish on the bottom)
lxHcLQ2.jpg

Fiery Black Shiner
pmZP4eu.jpg

Whitetail Shiner
XIxWg0y.jpg

Sailfin Shiner
gD4ysMF.jpg

Russetfin Topminnow
oFA73bF.jpg

Bluefin Kilifish
T8lcT8A.jpg

Darters:
Greenfin Darter
2kXhuH7.jpg

Gilt Darter
EFg0e9v.jpg

Sunfish/Bass:
Redbreast Juvenile
0H4KJLt.jpg

Shadow Bass
cAdUEYA.jpg

Florida Bluegill (The only golden bluegills)
EldMcD2.jpg

Keep in mind that all these fish are in breeding coloration. Maybe if someone selectively breeds them long enough we can get them to retain these colors (obviously not as bright though) year round? I can only dream 
happy.png

Boy I want so bad to move to the states!!!

Great photo's and fish... likey the Minnow and surprised we don't see them in the hobby !

Are they cold water or tropical ?

Such beautiful fish! Do you happen to know their sizes and such? If not that's fine.
smile.png
I do hope to have a native tank some day.

WHERE THE HECK DO YOU LIVE??!!??! Ive lived in Ohio and visited michigan a lot and never once seen any of these awesome fish!!! Im in florida now so no way its in my back yard haha

Those are some great looking fish! I have 3 swamp darters in my community tank and they are active and lots of fun to watch. Not as colorful as the green fin, but still very curious and fun little fish!

They're definitely not in my backyard - our entire state is dried up.

*pete* said:
Great photo's and fish... likey the Minnow and surprised we don't see them in the hobby !

Are they cold water or tropical ?
They are temperate fish so they prefer an unheated tank, but can still thrive in warmer water (as long as its still in the 70's)
Any sunfish kept in warmer waters though will be in constant breeding mode and extremely aggressive. 

Ninjouzata said:
Such beautiful fish! Do you happen to know their sizes and such? If not that's fine.
smile.png
I do hope to have a native tank some day.
The shiners most likely top out around 3" other than the striped shiner, which is more around 5" but can reach 7"
Darters are very small and probably no more than 2"
Sunfish are generally in the 6-8" range
This is a general guideline, of course there are a few species that are smaller or larger. 

sawickib said:
WHERE THE HECK DO YOU LIVE??!!??! Ive lived in Ohio and visited michigan a lot and never once seen any of these awesome fish!!! Im in florida now so no way its in my back yard haha
I live in Illinois and don't have any of the fish I posted up there (except the redbreast) but you'd be surprised what kinds of fish you have in your state! The fish I posted were mostly from South Carolina/ Tennessee area and Florida. Florida has SO MANY species! Take a look! 

Weiro792 said:
Those are some great looking fish! I have 3 swamp darters in my community tank and they are active and lots of fun to watch. Not as colorful as 
the green fin, but still very curious and fun little fish!
Darters are neat for sure! I have 2 johnny darters in mine, and they are like little puppies, following me everywhere. 

DreamertK said:
They're definitely not in my backyard - our entire state is dried up.
Oops, sorry! 
ohmy.png

Wow nice photos and great looking fish. Always wanted to live in the US.

Excellent looking fish very unique looking,but not sure if there 9/18/24 carat
rofl.gif
cool1.gif

gh74 said:
Excellent looking fish very unique looking,but not sure if there 9/18/24 carat
rofl.gif
cool1.gif
Haha maybe not, but I still think they're worth as much!

Neil_Clark said:
That second picture, stunning looking fish!!!
Yes it is! 
wub.png

Yep - those fish are my neck on the woods! South Carolina has a lot of nice waterways and fish. 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back