The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

loraxchick

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
hi,
im realllly excited that i can say that i no longer am battling blue green algae. tried everything to get rid of it and then went ahead and blacked out my tank for five days. boy, do i wish i did it a lot sooner. tank is crystal clear! so for all of you that might be having a similar issue with BGA, all i can say is do a blackout...dont wait!!! i had a pretty serious case and now it's all gone :shout: :hyper:
cheers!

Yes, black outs do work in getting rid of it. However the underlying cause of the BGA might not have been treated and it will therefore come back.

As Radar mentioned, the blackout will help, although my BGA a while ago came back straight away because I couldn't fix the underlying problem.

im almost sure it's due to poor circulation. but it's a planted betta tank and he doesnt like the current. i have a sponge filter in there.

i have seen bettas kept in tanks with 10x circulation. Koralia style models are better as they ditribute the flow over a larger surafce area, unlike the traditional powerheads which produce a jet stream!

We had BGA twice in our 29gal... Started in the gravel and just got on everything.
Did a blackout both times and it worked like a charm.

the tank was perfect for 6+ months until a four day power outtage...lights off caused massive algae issues and i got rid of all but the bga...and then i tried everything short of antibiotics and blackout...moral of the story, dont wait to do a blackout. it worked wonders!!!
im not looking to up my filtration. he really is bothered by currents. very very long VT so cant navigate well at all due to his ridiculous finnage if there is any sort of current. that's why i have a sponge filter. works perfect as far as water chem. goes.
thanks and cheers.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back