Then VS Now

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CassCats

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
ive got some of my first aeneus corydoras as rescues, unfortunately they were in baaaad shape when I got them.

But months later, they're like theyre not even the same fish!

First, the one who was worst off. This little girl was riddled with so many parasites internal and external flukes and soooo emaciated.
20191213_165620.jpg

But now she's grown a lot bigger and chunkier and is so full of health.
20200807_212447.jpg

This girl had a whole fin and spine ripped off, but surprisingly grew back without issue.
20191213_170451.jpg

Nice full fin!
20200831_151245.jpg

And this guy took the longest to recover, he was very sickly and i worried he wouldn't recover in the end, but he has shaped up beautifully.
20200101_051454.jpg

Hes proving to be among my most colorful too!
20200831_185521.jpg

Well done hun.. so beautiful! Can I ask how did you know baby had fluke etc?
On the fins and whiskers, they had very tiny little white short "strings" clinging to them, especially the pelvic and dorsals.
Arrow pointing to a visible fluke.
20191213_165615.jpg

I had a severe outbreak of it before these rescues too, so I knew what to look for with them. I always always check now with new fish and take photos of them in the bag!

These photos are from previous outbreak, the flukes circled.

20191012_052344.jpg

and look at the poor barbels, covered too.
20191017_051343.jpg

How did you go about curing them? That would be good for members to learn should they have a similar outbreak.

Flubendozole can cure it, but so can Praziquantel.
I went 4 rounds of half-dosed Praziquantel and Metronidazole in General Cure (i had to go out of the country to get my hands on it).
I had tried malachite green prior as some sources say it works, but it didnt work for my case (I had a severe outbreak before this, so I knew how to tackle it on these guys too)

Salt can work, but be warned with cories and some fluke species are tolerant of salt so it won't work.

Wow! I would have thought they were just a part of the fin. Never had them. Thanks for sharing!

Amazing!

Would love to see a picture of that whole tank. :wub:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back