The trouble with moss

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Aroc2226

Reaction score
I have a few plants that are taking off. I would like them to do better but more on that later.

Iā€™m really having trouble with moss though.

Iā€™ve tried three different times and all that happens is the turn brown and die. I did have my first ones come back a bit but ultimately didnā€™t make it.

Any ideas?

It would also help to have the data on the light and nutrients, particularly as you indicate the other plants are not doing as well as you'd like. What type of light, what spectrum, and how long is it on each day? Is it on a timer so it is consistent every day? And what if any plant additives (fertilizers) are you using? Do you have floating plants? A photo of the tank so we can see the plant species and numbers would help.

Java and I think the last one was Christmas moss which might have been the same thing
I have a few plants that are taking off. I would like them to do better but more on that later.

Iā€™m really having trouble with moss though.

Iā€™ve tried three different times and all that happens is the turn brown and die. I did have my first ones come back a bit but ultimately didnā€™t make it.

Any ideas?
I believe the light is a full spectrum light. It isnā€™t on a timer. I manually turn it on at 7:00 in the morning and turn it off about 8:00 or so in evening.

Attachments

• E2921419-2142-4C47-8885-3E0902CC329D.jpeg
    E2921419-2142-4C47-8885-3E0902CC329D.jpeg
    224.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 3E5C7182-BB8F-47C9-9F56-9ABFEBCE4723.jpeg
    3E5C7182-BB8F-47C9-9F56-9ABFEBCE4723.jpeg
    206 KB · Views: 24
  • 62B1B5E5-E7F0-47C0-AA89-1F74CC390CDD.jpeg
    62B1B5E5-E7F0-47C0-AA89-1F74CC390CDD.jpeg
    265.7 KB · Views: 23
It would also help to have the data on the light and nutrients, particularly as you indicate the other plants are not doing as well as you'd like. What type of light, what spectrum, and how long is it on each day? Is it on a timer so it is consistent every day? And what if any plant additives (fertilizers) are you using? Do you have floating plants? A photo of the tank so we can see the plant species and numbers would help.

I am planning on a CO2 system as well. Thought that might help

I am planning on a CO2 system as well. Thought that might help

No it won't help. Light is the most important factor because the intensity drives photosynthesis and plants have differing requirements when it comes to intensity. Balance the existing light with nutrients and the plants will grow well. Carbon is one macro-nutrient, but there is usually sufficient being created naturally. The duration of the light also factors in, assuming intensity is OK and nutrients are sufficient. Thirteen hours is a long photoperiod. I'm seeing some problem algae on the plant leaves in the photos. I would reduce the light to 8 hours, on a timer so it is consistent (this benefits fish as well as plants). You have not mentioed if any fertilizers are used.

Moss is a low light plant. It does better with floating plants to shade it.

What is the temperature of your tank? Most types of aquarium moss like things a bit cooler. Once you get to the high 70s and above the moss is likely to die off or not thrive. Moss can also be a bit sensitive to plant dips, if you've done those before adding them to the tank in order to keep snails eggs and diseases from entering the aquarium along with the new plant.

What is the temperature of your tank? Most types of aquarium moss like things a bit cooler. Once you get to the high 70s and above the moss is likely to die off or not thrive. Moss can also be a bit sensitive to plant dips, if you've done those before adding them to the tank in order to keep snails eggs and diseases from entering the aquarium along with the new plant.
I have it at 78 f. I might just go without moss. I donā€™t like to go much below that temp

I have it at 78 f. I might just go without moss. I donā€™t like to go much below that temp

Temperature should of course be what the fish species require because temperature drives the fishes' metabolism. Personally I would not consider 78F too high for moss, I think it is more likely what I pointed out previously.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back