The tropics are surrounded with marine life…..

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Crimson Ghost

Reaction score
For lack of a better place to post on Marine items I will post this here. I don’t seem to be able to propagate my coralline algae. I am hoping that new brighter lights and increased calcium will do the trick. Two years into my reef and the coralline is the same as it was on day one. I tested the calcium last night and its at 430 – all other water parameters are within the ideal range. I am not a fan of water changes and havn’t performed one in nearly a year – besides, a 180 gallon tank is a lot of water to replace even at 20%, your still talking about 36 gallons of make-up water (my R/O unit does 50 gallons per 24 hours)

I currently run my lights for 8 hours, once some time passes and my tank gets use to the new lights I will increase the run time to about 10 hours. I am not sure what else to do for my coralline – any idea’s?

Btw, how many people here have marine tank’s – and of those people how many are running reef’s?

I just have one freshwater tank ;)

I posted to let you know that I think there will be soon be a marine/reef section :)

I used to have marine and reef tanks way back at the mo I'm just running freshwaters. in the proccesing of seting up a marine/reef at the mo. cash is the only problem. I'll do some checking for you to see what I can come up with for your prob. I know just the person to phone.

I've never had a marine setup though have talkied about one. Maybe if I win the pfk competition I'll get one :laugh:

Crimson, it will most likely be your lighting. Exactly what kind, size wattage, and duration are you running? We can go from there..

GL - (laughing to myself as I referrer to ¡§Great Lakes¡¨ as GL, my 3 year old is into ¡§Super Friends¡¨ and ever since he heard Flash cal The Green Lantern GL that¡¦s what he runs around the house yelling¡K¡Keven when he is holding Superman or Batman ¡V lol, thought I¡¦d share)

Anywho, for the past 2 years I have been running a 4 bulb VHO setup (2 blue, 2 white) 10,000K 110 Watts. Powered by 2 Coralife Ballast¡¦s. Recently (1 month ago) I switched to 6 foot bulbs, same 4 by design ¡V but I pumped up the wattage to 160 watts per bulb. That quickly blew the ballast¡¦s and facilitated my purchasing 2 icecap 660¡¦s. These little buggers are dumping mega light into this tank ¡V very serious output, best I could do without moving to metal halide (sp?). But I have the tank with a canopy and that would pretty much boil the tank (which wouldn¡¦t be bad if I were raising lobsters ) „² joking, no animal activist replies please.

I got in the Garf Grunge I told you about, I sprinkled it all in the tank all over my reef and substrate ¡V from here that¡¦s a waiting game to see if anything comes of it. I am banking on my improved lighting , the grunge and the increase of calcium levels from 400 to 440. Simultaneously I am starting to add new corals ¡V just frags, so I don¡¦t want to inundate the tank with a preponderance of light. I am running for 8 hours a day right now (from 2pm until 10pm) so the tank is really 100% dark for 9 hours or so until it gets natural sunshine.

I added the grunge yesterday around 4pm ¡V I from that point on could not see a thing except for the snails on the front glass (it was that clouded). I am sure I¡¦ll need to clean my pre-filters tonight so that my water flow is not hampered.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back