The terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SomethingsFishy24

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I started the day like any other. Not sure why it decided to hit me hard. I lost one of my favorite fish at the age of 8 years old. A big male geophagus tapajos. Dead, just flat dead.

Apparently, my middle child is allergic to walnuts. The boys wanted to eat the Sargentos fast breaks we have in the fridge(cheese, walnuts and cranberries). Cool, I had a fish to bury and a tank to investigate. Middle son began coughing after eating, must be wrong tube. Got him a drink of water. Within an hour his eyes are nearly swollen shut, nose, tongue and cheeks also swollen. WTH! Luckily I have hydroxyzine for him for seasonal allergies, gave him a dose and watched him like a hawk. He is much better now.

Dante, Sunday he started to act odd. He still acted mostly himself but I thought better check it out. All the labs came back with a high probability he has Lymphoma. He is almost 12, putting him through chemo is not fair for anyone, not him and not the family. He is now in the pallitive care stage of life, which I can't handle. He is my best boy dog, he isn't supposed to die!(I am aware all things die eventually, believe me, but I don't know how I can ever say goodbye to him)

Today sucked.

Oh man, @SomethingsFishy24... I'm so sorry...
Hopefully you get some closure as to why your fish died. He could have just been really old? I dont know their life spans though.

Also, I really pray that your dog gets better! Sorry about his diagnosis.

Glad to hear you figured out how to treat your son! That could have been deadly

Oh man, @SomethingsFishy24... I'm so sorry...
Hopefully you get some closure as to why your fish died. He could have just been really old? I dont know their life spans though.

Also, I really pray that your dog gets better! Sorry about his diagnosis.

Glad to hear you figured out how to treat your son! That could have been deadly
Thank you. The tank tested normal for the tank, nitrates not a hair over 5 ppm. I did maintenance on Saturday and everything was good. No changes in procedure. He ate yesterday with vigor. Everyone else seems fat and sassy per usual. I did another water change just to be safe, and wiped the glass again in case it was bad bacteria.

Unfortunately, Dante has other problems that compound his cancer diagnosis (heart murmur and bronchitis). He is my good boy, we want to keep him comfortable as long as he allows us to. I hope he does give us a bit more time with him.

I know, I was freaking out. I kept asking if he could breathe. I don't believe he has ever had walnuts before, I can't remember, and husband thinks these were the first time Finn ate them also. He eats all sorts of others with no issue (peanuts, almonds, cashews, pistachios) so it didn't pass my mind. We are extremely lucky it didn't get to that stage.

"Within an hour his eyes are nearly swollen shut, nose, tongue and cheeks also swollen. WTH! Luckily I have hydroxyzine for him for seasonal allergies, gave him a dose and watched him like a hawk. He is much better now."

Has your son seen a doctor? As many as 1 out of every 5 people may have a second anaphylactic reaction within 12 hours of the first. This is called a biphasic anaphylaxis.

That was a rough day all around.

The Geo was probably an old fish. If they make it to that age, they have had excellent care.

At @Naughts has something important up there, and my old dog sends solidarity to yours....

"Within an hour his eyes are nearly swollen shut, nose, tongue and cheeks also swollen. WTH! Luckily I have hydroxyzine for him for seasonal allergies, gave him a dose and watched him like a hawk. He is much better now."

Has your son seen a doctor? As many as 1 out of every 5 people may have a second anaphylactic reaction within 12 hours of the first. This is called a biphasic anaphylaxis.
Yes, My husband took him to urgent care to see if anything further needed to be done yesterday. There is a lot of construction going, much of the road that way is completely closed, so getting to his pediatrician would have taken ages. He got a jab of epi. He also used to be on albuterol when he was a baby to help his lungs, which the rx got refilled by the pediatrician after urgent saw him. So he'll be on that for a few weeks. We see his pediatrician tomorrow for follow up. He is back to himself this morning which I am thankful for. I suppose he'll need an epipen?

That was a rough day all around.

The Geo was probably an old fish. If they make it to that age, they have had excellent care.

At @Naughts has something important up there, and my old dog sends solidarity to yours....
Thank you.

My Geos (8 remaining)were all bought the same year within months of each other. You are probably right. I guess I don't want to believe it was old age, cause the others are just as old. Heck, the majority of living things are old in my house. It is going to get harder, unfortunately.

My little Chihauha mix , Midget perished the 19th of May. She was about 11 or 12. It never gets easier. Try as you might you just can't force the logic of " it's only a dog" into your mind. The poor little things live just long enough to burrow into your heart and then they break it. Truly a drag.

My little Chihauha mix , Midget perished the 19th of May. She was about 11 or 12. It never gets easier. Try as you might you just can't force the logic of " it's only a dog" into your mind. The poor little things live just long enough to burrow into your heart and then they break it. Truly a drag.
All pets seem to have a knack of taking bits of you when they go. I will always have pets as long as I am able to care for them, but they break hearts as much as they fill them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back