The Tea Lovers Thread

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I knew the name lapsang souchong but I had to google it to find out exactly what it is. I was given a cup once, a long time ago. I was expecting plain ordinary tea and when it wasn't I asked what it was. I've never been tempted to have another 🤢
I just don't like China tea, Indian is much more to my taste.

One thing it's best to remember about tea is some leaves are more delicate than others and the steeping time reflects the outcome of the taste.

One can really ruin a tea if steeped it too long and you may not get the full benefits or flavor if steeped for too short a time

The WORST tea I've ever tried is green tea 🤢🤢🤢🤢 I can't stand it! It literally tastes like grass 😖

Yoo-hoo, @Colin_T
Here I am...eat your heart out!
20200915_212446.jpg

It's all that chlorophyll. The same crap in leafy greens and green veges. That's why us werewolves are meat eaters, can't stand the taste of chlorophyll. :werewolf:
I much prefer my broccoli al dente smothered in cheese rather than liquefied in a mug 🤢

So, this adding the milk first business might be even worse than boiling the water in the microwave. :lol: It would lower the water temperature well below boiling, so the tea wouldn't steep correctly and would have very little flavor. Waste of good tea! You have to steep the tea first then add the milk.

Lapsang souchong is a Chinese tea that is fired over a wood fire in such a way that the smoke can get to it. I don't like it often, but once in while on a snowy evening it tastes good. It's also a bit lower in caffeine so I can have a mug at bed time and still get some sleep. It smells like a campfire. Maybe it just brings back nice memories of summer and fall camping trips. :)

@Essjay I had almost forgotten the sheer amount of tea that most English people drink. People over here think I'm a bit odd for having two or three cups a day! I'm surprised to hear of so many Brits using tea bags. I seem to remember when I was over there (in 89 and again in 00) most of the English people I met greatly preferred loose.

So, this adding the milk first business might be even worse than boiling the water in the microwave. :lol: It would lower the water temperature well below boiling, so the tea wouldn't steep correctly and would have very little flavor. Waste of good tea! You have to steep the tea first then add the milk.
Milk in first when you’re using a teapot, the tea has been ‘brewed’ with boiling water to the pref strength. Milk in after the removal of the teabag when making in a mug…that’s how I’ve always done it 🙂

Milk in first when you’re using a teapot, the tea has been ‘brewed’ with boiling water to the pref strength. Milk in after the removal of the teabag when making in a mug…that’s how I’ve always done it 🙂
Ah, yes. I was thinking brewing in the cup. I'm the only tea drinker in my family, so I usually don't use a pot. I kind of miss using one, though...my old one broke in the move a year ago.

I think most of us here use teabags nowadays. Finding loose tea can be difficult in some supermarkets as it's hard to spot among the shelves and shelves of bags :)

Lapsang souchong is a Chinese tea that is fired over a wood fire in such a way that the smoke can get to it. I don't like it often, but once in while on a snowy evening it tastes good. It's also a bit lower in caffeine so I can have a mug at bed time and still get some sleep. It smells like a campfire. Maybe it just brings back nice memories of summer and fall camping trips. :)

@Essjay I had almost forgotten the sheer amount of tea that most English people drink. People over here think I'm a bit odd for having two or three cups a day! I'm surprised to hear of so many Brits using tea bags. I seem to remember when I was over there (in 89 and again in 00) most of the English people I met greatly preferred loose.
The Irish drink more per head than us now. I blame the Starbucks led influx of coffee shops.

I like drinking tea from the pot, 3 teabags no less.

But one thing we must do is ‘warm the pot’, adding a small amount of boiled water to the pot, swirl it around and throw out and then add the tea bags and hot water.

Adding milk first to cup then adding tea from the pots is correct way.

As for tea bags in mug, hot water first then milk.

Never really tried loose tea properly so that may be on the list of must try one day, brewing loose leaf, maybe even mixing green and black tea to get desired flavour might be another thing to try.

Hmm, who knew there was so much more to tea than just a simple mug of tea! ;)

I knew the name lapsang souchong but I had to google it to find out exactly what it is. I was given a cup once, a long time ago. I was expecting plain ordinary tea and when it wasn't I asked what it was. I've never been tempted to have another 🤢
I just don't like China tea, Indian is much more to my taste.
It was all Chinese tea originally. Didnt exist anywhere else apparently and the Chinese wouldn’t sell or swap any plants. Then they were foolish enough to believe some upper crust Brits who said they only wanted to look at the plants for scientific purposes…….
The lying posh Brits then hot footed and full pocketed it to India ASAP to get their stolen plants into soil that had been prepared for that very purpose……..then to Kenya……etcetc.

Never believe anything that comes out of the mouth of a posh Brit.

Most reactions

Back