The Sweetest Thing.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

x Fish x

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Christmas week, my dad's titanium tube heater wonked out. Amazing, it's the most expensive and supposedly long-lived thing he could find, and it died. Yay! A few fish took horrible nose-dives, and a few shrimp did too. Most noticeably, Calico, the Calico Angel.

Huge, the size of my palm, flat on the gravel and dead. Nothing tried to eat her, when normally a fish is chewed up instantly in that tank. I'm quite sure she was about to breed with Sharkie before the heater died, because they'd been cleaning plants and protecting their area. At the same time, a few little fish got hungry and bit off the part of Sharkie's nose, behind his lip-joint.

So, my holy boy was Calico-less. He seemed so sad.

So my dad opted for more Angels, just because he wanted them. He's an old-school aquarist, and believe that the tank is overstocked when there are too many fish. He's not sure what's too many, but he'll know when he sees it. So, we got seven baby angels. All black marbles like Sharkie, one pure white veiltail, almost like Calico.

And you know what?

They follow Sharkie like puppies. He follows them, he watches over them and keeps the Big Bads away from them. He is the size of my palm; they are the size of nickels. It's like he's playing dad to them.

It's just so sweet.

Luckily, we had an old heater in my empty 10g. It was actually the 50's original heater, from way-back-when, and a 250 watt one. Popped it in and everything was good as new. 'Cept the losses, of course.

An update: One of the blacks got bratty with my big boy, nipping at a hole that the little fish had nibbled into his fin during the cold spell. Brat got whapped in the head by a tail! Good parenting skills =3

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back