The Strange World Of Glofish And Other Aquarium Man Made Fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Utar

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Very interesting short video, I learned things that I had no idea about.

Like did you know that its against the law to breed glofish and sell them. Glofish is a company in Singapore which genetically created these fish for use to check the toxicity of rivers and lakes. Glofish the company has patented these fish, so it is illegal to breed and sale them, or even to just give them away.

Very interesting short video, I learned things that I had no idea about.

Like did you know that its against the law to breed glofish and sell them. Glofish is a company in Singapore which genetically created these fish for use to check the toxicity of rivers and lakes. Glofish the company has patented these fish, so it is illegal to breed and sale them, or even to just give them away.

tbh glofish don't even look good. when i was a kid i still preferred convict cichlids

Last edited:
I hate the GloFish trade, it’s so cruel. The danios/tetras were bad enough, but after they started “making” the red tailed sharks and Bettas? I lost my mind... ?
Didn’t they genetically modify some a while ago and now the babies are glow too? Like it is genetic, they don’t CONTINUE to genetically modify them?

Didn’t they genetically modify some a while ago and now the babies are glow too? Like it is genetic, they don’t CONTINUE to genetically modify them?
Yes, they genetically modified them using genes from other organisms, such as anemones and algae.

After they get lots of pairs, the babies don’t need to be modified, as it’s already in their genes. But there are a lot of genetic issues with these fish’s offspring.

I'm not a fan of them either, but I do have a group of 7 of the danio, at least 3 being long fin.

They are illegal to import or sell in this country but they came to me in a tank I bought on eBay. The description didn't say they were included, so now they're my problem. They are in one of my quarantine tanks now.

They are eye-catching for sure, but I can't imagine ever actually choosing them in a shop. There are just so many beautiful fish I'd want to choose before considering them.

I'm surprised that people are producing more and more short body and balloon fish, there are even a balloon chinese algae eater for sale in the fish store :/
Yes! I don’t personally feel like the Glofish are cruel, they were genetically modified generations back, yeah they have health issues but so do tons of other in bred and over bred fish, even cats and dogs have breed specific health issues. But I do feel like the balloon variety of fish are cruel! They can hardly swim, they just bobble around. My sister wanted a Balloon Molly for my guppy tank last year and I told her no.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back