The Red Sea

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

james_fish

Chuck, Leader Of Ze People.
Reaction score
I've just returned from a weeks holiday in Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt.

The point of the trip was mostly to do with the Red Sea, snorkelling and scuba diving.

Having done some snorkelling and diving before, most notably on the Great Barrier Reef I was well in to it and looking forward to seeing what the Red Sea had to offer.

First time in the water :drool:

...Absolutely stunning.

It was absolutely filled with beautiful fish, corals and other things alike.

Just a short list of fish I saw:

Blackspotted Grunt, Yellowsaddle Goatfish, Yellowfin Goatfish, Forsskal Goatfish, Masked Pufferfish, Blackspotted Pufferfish, Pearl Toby, Klunzingers Wrasse, Bird Wrasse, Moon Wrasse, Cleaner Wrasse, Bigeye Emporter, Napolean Fish, Bicolor Parrot Fish, Buttlehead Parrot Fish, Rusty Parrot Fish, Red Sea Anemone Fish, Scissortail Sergeant, Sergeant Major, Banded Dascyllus, Half and Half Chromis, Common Lizard Fish, Sulphur Damsel Fish, Red Sea BannerFish, Crown Butterfly Fish, Masked Butterfly Fish, Lined Butterfly Fish, Royal Angelfish, Emporer Angel Fish, LionFish, Blue Spotted Stingray, Squid, Blue Sailfin Tang, Giant Trevally, Black Surgeon Fish, Orangepsine Unicorn Fish, Coral Grouper, Lunar Fusiliar, Suez Fusilier, Blue Triggerfish, Giant Triggerfish, Orangestriped Triggerfish, Arabian PicassoFish, Pipefish, Scribbled File Fish and many many more.

The things that stood out the most from the above list were:

Lionfish: Not uncommon, saw at least one every jump gorgeous fish as we all know, very docile. Great to see them in the wild!

Blue Spotted Stingray: Again, not uncommon but a great site. Relitively small, when you see them close the blue spots show fantastically.

Napolean Fish: HUGE FISH, absolutely huge. It was knocking on for about 4.5/5 feet. Only saw one, fanstastic.

Scribbled FileFish: Only saw one, incredible fish packs some huge teeth!

Blackspotted Pufferfish: Saw two, in the evening. When compared to the masked Puffers these things are massive!

Parrotfish: Very common but beautiful nonetheless.

Red sea Anemone fish: To see Clown Fish in the wild was pretty special.

Giant Triggerfish: Huge and beautiful!

All in all a great trip, which is as good in not better than the GBR of Australia. I recommend it highly, Next time i'm going i'm taking an underwater camera without a doubt!

Makes me want to set a salty up :shifty:

Sorry to bore you all :lol:

James. :good:

sounds amazing just had to google the napoleon wow

32992130472f057aff99458.jpg

Unreal, was a shock when I first saw it! :crazy:

James.

Me and Hubby went to Sharm in 2007. I have a real bad fear of being under water but because I wanted to see the fish and corals I actually braved snorkelling........and loved it!! B-) Although I never swam out too far I did get to see some of the fish and they were lovely, shame the corals that are close to the shoreline were badly dying off or dead though :sad:

We`ve said we`d like to go back next year and I might, just might see if I can get the guts up to go scuba diving instead of just snorkelling :unsure:

Yes, tourism will slowly destroy the reefs if the Egyptian's don't bring some strict rules in. I'll give it about 20 years until it's gone or very badly damaged.

A real shame.

James.

Cool, maybe next year, I might go back to Colombia for some snorkling.
First half of the visit, probs visit the rainforest and the freshwater river and streams and ponds.
Second half probs will go to San Andres Island off the coast off Colombia. Its lovely, warm weather, palm trees, white sandy beaches :shout: :drool: :drool: :drool:
Last time we went to San Andres, we saw a Humpback Whale, loads of crabs, pufferfish, and dolphins and millions of other creatures. And an Iguana :shout: :p

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back