The Life And Times Of Chops The Oscar

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Is this thread over? Or do we get more updates? The story of chops reminds me of my oscar-thankfully he wasn't quite as destructive though
smile.png

It is with a heavy heart I write this..

Owning Chops has been the biggest eye opener to fish having a personality ever - there is no other fish like Chops in my home. However I think our time together is coming to an end. Chops has developed a lump on his side internally by the look, he is slightly larger on one side than the other, now he is eating very little. He is still having me at it though, twice this week I have found him lying "trapped" under a branch in the tank. He could of got out easily but lay there until I got him out by hand and stayed in my hand rolling his eye at me - I think he knows he is dying and its breaking my heart.

Coming up 5years is no great age for an oscar, but considering he was half dead when I picked him up, his major deformed broken jaw which affects his ability to eat, his crushed gill plate which does not allow water to flow across the gills properly he has done well. The problems we overcame getting him fit, setting his tank up so he got enough oxygen, hand feeding etc but I cannot cure what looks like a tumour.

The only thing I can do is make his remaining time as comfortable as possible. :(

The only thing I can do is make his remaining time as comfortable as possible.
I agree.

I just found this thread and enjoyed reading it, Be comforted by the fact that you gave him a great life.

So sorry to hear about poor old Chops
sad.png

Chops is still battling on, he does not appear to be eating very much at all. I tried hand feeding him some finely chopped prawn tonight, but the devil just ended up splashing me and rolling his eyes at me. I am at a total loss on what to do next, the lump on his side (internal) has gotten no bigger (thankfully), but he just isnt right.

It is with great sadness that this will be the final post about a truely remarkable fish. A one in a million. On 3rd June I found Chops lying on his side, no longer able to cope with the tumour. Putting him to sleep was the hardest thing I have ever had to do.

RIP Chops :(

Most reactions

Back