The Journey To Owning Land Snails~

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
i thought about it, and i might still own them!
i reality all i really need is a spray bottle and possible isopods, then the snails themselfs :)

Some local humane societies take small animals like hamsters, gerbils, rabbits, rats.
I did not know that, thanks for the info...the ones near me are just cat and dog, that I am aware of...for adoption, anyway

I did not know that, thanks for the info...the ones near me are just cat and dog, that I am aware of...for adoption, anyway
No problem^_^ I sometimes seaarch on Petfinder, which is like you search by area and all the shelters in that area (or at least most of them) have their pets up for adoption listed there with photos. I once saw a pleco, there are snapping turtles, and tons of rabbits

um, so funny story...
i opened my window in my bedroom for the first time in forever, and left it open for a few hours. My 'Window' is actully a rain drain or whatever, and toads hang out in it every year and hibernate under the dirt. Um, so, i went down to bed, and open my closet.
Toad. In. My. Freaking. Closet
I freaked out, as anyone would do, and grabed my old fish bowl and scooped it up. it kept trying to hop out so i put it in my snail tank. i brought it back out side near my window and put some dirt in the little area thing-y so it would stay there. I'm glad i went down stairs earlier or it might of stayed in my room 0-0

So, did you get the hamsters? I find hamsters to be nasty, smelly, ill-tempered little critters. Much prefer gerbils or rats. To each his own.

Regarding land snails: When I was a kid in the Bighorn Mountains, we used to frequently find snail shells on the ground. They were about the size and shape of nerite snails, but gray-and-brown patterned. We always called them fossils. Then one day I realized that the "fossils" were on top of the pine needle litter. Years later I finally found a live one. I don't know anything about these snails except that they exist, they are obviously nocturnal or maybe they only come out in rainstorms, and they somehow survive in the very dry Wyoming climate.
(Interesting: I just googled "land snails wyoming" and found a ton of pictures. Yep, this is what we found! Looks like they're called "mountainsnails." How original. :lol: )
1639243135924.jpeg

A couple years ago, the Badgerling found something completely different: a tiny, almost microscopic land snail in the dead grass out in our hedgerow. This was in a dry field far from the mountains. I had lived there for over a decade and never knew we had a native land snail. It was shaped more like a ramshorn snail, but tiny tiny tiny and light gray, and living on land! The world is full of mysteries!

I find hamsters to be nasty, smelly, ill-tempered little critters. Much prefer gerbils or rats. To each his own.
My hamster was very chill and relaxed with me, but was terrified of everyone else! When they're in a small cage with too little bedding they do stink really bad. They are supposed to have like 10 inches of bedding to burrow in though, which most people of course don't have a tall enough cage to do.

So, did you get the hamsters? I find hamsters to be nasty, smelly, ill-tempered little critters. Much prefer gerbils or rats. To each his own.
no, not yet
I keep trying to contact people and they either don't respond, take the ad down, or some other weird suspicious thing.
I agree with @OliveFish05, They don't smell the slightest if your cage is up to standards.
Rats smell more compared to hamsters, even if both of their care is correct

Regarding land snails: When I was a kid in the Bighorn Mountains, we used to frequently find snail shells on the ground. They were about the size and shape of nerite snails, but gray-and-brown patterned. We always called them fossils. Then one day I realized that the "fossils" were on top of the pine needle litter. Years later I finally found a live one. I don't know anything about these snails except that they exist, they are obviously nocturnal or maybe they only come out in rainstorms, and they somehow survive in the very dry Wyoming climate.
(Interesting: I just googled "land snails wyoming" and found a ton of pictures. Yep, this is what we found! Looks like they're called "mountainsnails." How original. :lol: )
View attachment 149814

A couple years ago, the Badgerling found something completely different: a tiny, almost microscopic land snail in the dead grass out in our hedgerow. This was in a dry field far from the mountains. I had lived there for over a decade and never knew we had a native land snail. It was shaped more like a ramshorn snail, but tiny tiny tiny and light gray, and living on land! The world is full of mysteries! Mabye a unicorn snail? It could've just been the average baby Garden Snail
I think the only native snail in my state is the Garden Snail and slugs. You only see the snails here after it rains, too.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back