The Journey To Owning Land Snails~

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Anonymous Fox

Fish Addict
Reaction score
hello:)

nobody is gonna reply to this but me probably, but, I'm still makin' it.

so, I might and will most likely own land snails (bc I've always been obsessed with any snail.) I have a huge soft spot for them, especially larger ones, so I did some research and found that Monadenia fidelis is the largest land snail legal in the U.S and it's not the snail that's illegal, it is the shipping from Country to Country, so I may possibly be able to own Giant African Land Snails (GALS or GAS) Legally in the U.S. although I probably wouldn’t have one IG
I kind of over-joyed about it
download (4).jpg

Last edited:
Please do not get a Giant African Land snail. They are prolific breeders and can cause a lot of damage if released or escaped. In regard to Monadenia fidelis that snail is found naturally in the Pacific Northwest. My wife, who likes to keep snails, has kept them in the past. If you live in the area you can simply walk around in the woods to look for one. I came across some literature that suggest the M. fidelis might prefer native fungi for food which might be difficult to obtain but I haven't been able to find the source of that literature so I would take that with a grain of salt.

You can also collect all sorts of snails from around your home, grove snails are pretty common in North America, though introduced they have been naturalized to the continent, they are pretty and very easy to care for. A five gallon tank some soil and plants, shallow water dish, and a cuttlefish bone is really all you need with a screen cover over the tank. Feed them the waste from making salads.

If you collect your own be careful not to introduce a snail from the genus Haplotrema, many of them are carnivorous and feed on other mollusks. https://www.odaguides.us/haplotrematidae.html

This site outlines some of the areas where you might find M. fidelis https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=any&subview=map&taxon_id=62803

I would search for the snails, when a business comes look into, and read about others experiences on forums and stuff to make sure they’re reputable

I've disided to get one fully-albino milk snail and one natural color milk snail.

I have a 10 gallon setup already with a terra-cota pot, some sticks & rocks, and around 5 inches of soil. I'm ordering moss and cuddle-bone when I order the snails.

idk were i'm getting them yet, though.

Your gonna have to compete with my tortoises! I've already won one, lets see if you can beat me. When is POTM.
Nothing like good healthy competition...but in the end, it doesnt matter if you win or lose, just that you entered the contest and showed us your pet.

Nothing like good healthy competition...but in the end, it doesnt matter if you win or lose, just that you entered the contest and showed us your pet.
:D

I most likely will not have them by the end of this month, i still have to do a bit more research on them before i get them D:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back