The History of Aquariums

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Just an FYI- I do not store cookies nor history on either of my browsers. I use ad blockers. I make it difficult for anybody to harvest info from my PC.

Ellie don't worry about using Google for school. But you might want to check out Google Scholar in your spare time. However, the search terms one needs to use to get good results are way different than normal google. You need to use more technical terms to get the right papers to come up. https://scholar.google.com/
Or start here https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0,33&q=History+of+aquariums&btnG=

I use google scholar all the time and also use ad blockers!
Just an FYI- I do not store cookies nor history on either of my browsers. I use ad blockers. I make it difficult for anybody to harvest info from my PC.

Ellie don't worry about using Google for school. But you might want to check out Google Scholar in your spare time. However, the search terms one needs to use to get good results are way different than normal google. You need to use more technical terms to get the right papers to come up. https://scholar.google.com/
Or start here https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0,33&q=History+of+aquariums&btnG=

I'm curious
Do they not teach footnoting any more?
Lol! They do, but google docs doesn't allow page-by-page footnotes, so creating them involves making each page a separate "section." It is entirely too complicated, and I wouldn't have used google docs for this assignment had I known before adding in all of the pictures. This also means that every time you edit a footnote, you risk having to redo the entire document's formatting. After trying for hours to better format the page, I just gave up and asked my professor if she cared - she didn't.

For my first real college paper I chose to write about the history of aquariums because not even my professors can escape my favorite hobby. Here's what I wrote if anyone is interested.
(For a creative writing class where we were challenged to write a research paper that doesn't read like one)
(Had to have a narrative start because of the prompt - actual info starts on second page)
Swimming Through the Fishy Facts of Everything Aquarium: An Exploratory Essay

Message me if you find any errors, lol!
I'll give it a go by reading it all by tomorrow evening. I've got a whole day at the hospital.

Lol! They do, but google docs doesn't allow page-by-page footnotes, so creating them involves making each page a separate "section." It is entirely too complicated, and I wouldn't have used google docs for this assignment had I known before adding in all of the pictures. This also means that every time you edit a footnote, you risk having to redo the entire document's formatting. After trying for hours to better format the page, I just gave up and asked my professor if she cared - she didn't.

Then why use google doc..there is OpenOffice.. it's free.. can use in android.
Then export out in pdf. 😄

As a sidebar: ur still young. U can't have rusty joints yet. Not like us old folks🤣🤣
It's a good job.

As a sidebar: ur still young. U can't have rusty joints yet. Not like us old folks🤣🤣
It's a good job.
OpenOffice/Libre Office are both excellent free options but then so is Microsoft Office on-line which includes Word, Excel and Power Point at least and is also free.

Also Microsoft 365 is free for teachers and students but I don't really know the details.

Personally I won't use any M$ product.
I'm a rouge.
Open office has all the things u mentioned.
I also wud not use the cloud for important stuff.
The net does go down... Then wot do? 😄

Personally I won't use any M$ product.
I'm a rouge.
Open office has all the things u mentioned.
I also wud not use the cloud for important stuff.
The net does go down... Then wot do? 😄
Each to there own. :) Just curios as to what operating system you run if not Windows; Apple, Linux? Actually I run all three with my preferred Linux distro being Mint. On my MacBook Air I always make sure to be running the latest version of MacOS and they come out a LOT more often than Windows OS upgrades. Actually it is sort of funny with my MacBook as I also run Windows through the thing via Boot camp. What is funny is that Windows 10 actually boots noticeably quicker than MacOS.

True in that Libre Office or Open Office have equivalents of Work, Excel and Power Point but, to be honest, MS Office offers much more such as Outlook, Access and Publisher. Outlook is easy to replace with either Thunderbird or eM Client but I have yet to see a freebee that touches Publisher... Admittedly I haven't done a serious search. Access I actually have never used as I don't manually build my data bases. I now and then check out Open and Libre Office and they are both awesome free alternatives to MS Office but both lack in the quality of output in relation to MS Office especially when it comes to graphics handling such as graphs.

What does the cloud have to do with any of this? Oh, I get it, by default Office wants to store files online through OneDrive. I never use that as I, also, don't have trust in cloud storage and don't use. I can't remember which but it is during the MS Office setup or through a simple setting after setup to set it to only save files locally instead of the cloud.

Each to there own. :) Just curios as to what operating system you run if not Windows; Apple, Linux? Actually I run all three with my preferred Linux distro being Mint. On my MacBook Air I always make sure to be running the latest version of MacOS and they come out a LOT more often than Windows OS upgrades. Actually it is sort of funny with my MacBook as I also run Windows through the thing via Boot camp. What is funny is that Windows 10 actually boots noticeably quicker than MacOS.

True in that Libre Office or Open Office have equivalents of Work, Excel and Power Point but, to be honest, MS Office offers much more such as Outlook, Access and Publisher. Outlook is easy to replace with either Thunderbird or eM Client but I have yet to see a freebee that touches Publisher... Admittedly I haven't done a serious search. Access I actually have never used as I don't manually build my data bases. I now and then check out Open and Libre Office and they are both awesome free alternatives to MS Office but both lack in the quality of output in relation to MS Office especially when it comes to graphics handling such as graphs.

What does the cloud have to do with any of this? Oh, I get it, by default Office wants to store files online through OneDrive. I never use that as I, also, don't have trust in cloud storage and don't use. I can't remember which but it is during the MS Office setup or through a simple setting after setup to set it to only save files locally instead of the cloud.
Bing sucks.

We better get back in topic.

It's a good job.
OpenOffice/Libre Office are both excellent free options but then so is Microsoft Office on-line which includes Word, Excel and Power Point at least and is also free.

Also Microsoft 365 is free for teachers and students but I don't really know the details.
I just use google Docs because it's what our professor requests. We do a lot of peer reviewing and google docs offers really accessible commenting features along with a 'suggestion mode' that everyone already knows how to use, including international students. All of my school's different ways to submit things are compatible with google docs and everyone I'm working with already has a school-provided google account that I can search through in seconds. I'm not a die-hard google person, but it's what makes sense for school.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back