The Guppy Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

picklesquidly101

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hallo everyone!
Recently I've started a new project in guppy breeding/keeping.  (more work on the keeping side though.)

My amazing science teacher used to have two guppies, a blue and a red, and they began to repopulate the tank a lot.  
Since she had too many now, she let me take some home!
I took home two beautiful baby-blue ones, a dark blue, a neon blue female, and several fry.  Unfortunately some of the fry had died, leaving me with only about three.  

Once I decided to begin keeping and breeding guppies, I went to my local Petsmart to find a guppy or two that would be suitable in creating some nice fry.  I found a gorgeous yellow-turquiose cobra guppy.  I can't wait to see what colors and frys he'll make!

I also found another fish, an Endler guppy.  I've never seen one before, and I thought they were absolutely stunning, so I had to take a couple home.  I ended up bringing two male endlers along with my cobra.

They get along absolutely well with my other fish!

I do have one problem though.  I don't think I have enough females for the males, and I do not want them to die in exhaustion and such, as I have read.  I'll be buying some females as soon as possible.

Picture time!
Sorry if some of them are blurry, these guppies are hard to take pictures of sometimes :C

IMG_8549_zps5de3ba28.jpg

IMG_8548_zps3181ae8d.jpg
IMG_8544_zpsf5365a18.jpg
IMG_8541_zps5fda8854.jpg

IMG_8538_zps93e0dd4a.jpg

IMG_8523_zps6ebbb375.jpg

IMG_8510_zps6bfbe292.jpg
IMG_8504_zpsa1cc15ef.jpg

HELLO, the pictures are good. Hope you solve the problem with high male guppy population. I have as gravid female. I expect to have baby guppies in the tank real soon.  I had three guppies in the main tank: a male and two very large females. I lost the male about 4 days ago.  A friend of mine told me that sometimes females attack and kill males.

The females will attack the males?  I've never heard of that before.  Do you know why they do that?

Nice tank what size is it? I love your different guppies and I am a huge fan of endlers, hardly get any here but I have a yellow cobra endler cross.
The male to female ratio is 1 male to 2 or 3 females. I have had females nip males because they keep pestering them. 

exactly, this is why I want to get new females as soon as possible.  I think I have time though, no one is bothering my females at all, actually.

This tank is a 10 gallon.  I know thats rather small, but I have a 20 gallon I want to set up soon for the guppies.

picklesquidly101 said:
The females will attack the males?  I've never heard of that before.  Do you know why they do that?
Neither do I until my friend told me. By the way, I went out and upon arrival New Fry from the female guppy I told you.

Those fry in the first picture. <3 They all look nice and healthy.

June 24

Well... I've recieved a very very pleasant surprise today.

One of my females (the bigger one with shiny blue fins) had given birth to some new fry this afternoon!  I didn't know if she was pregnant or not, but I did have my suspicions, which I guess turned out true.  I think the father is one of my blue ones.

I counted only 6 remaining fry in all, I think there were more, but they were all eaten.

It seems that the new arrivals have taken their toll on all of the tank mates, everyones acting a little weird, and their fins are clamped.  I'll see how they are tomorrow.

IMG_8568_zps55bbcacd.jpg

IMG_8567_zpsdba77b98.jpg

How long has your tank been set up? Clamped fins is never a good sign, but I find that babies don't really affect the water stats as they are so small and have a tiny bioload at that size. Try a water change and see what happens. 
Congrats on the fry it's so exciting!

This tank has been set up for about a year now, but all of the guppies are looking fine again.  I will do a water change though.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back