The fun of breeding pet shop Guppies

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fish48

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
The fun of breeding pet shop Guppies about 6 weeks ago I brought a female guppy for the purpose of seeing what colours the fry will be today she had 50 babies
IMG_1702 (640x432).jpg

Congrats on the fry! :wub:
I did the same thing when I set up my first tank, just wanted to breed a few pet shop guppies to see what they produced, it's fun! Hope you'll update the thread with progress photos as they grow, those kinds of journals are fun, and they can be really helpful for people who are new to breeding guppies as well :)

Congrats on the new fry! I recently got a batch of them and they always bring a smile to my face when I see their little eyes and bodies hiding in the thick guppy grass. It is like waiting for Christmas to see what colors you'll get.

Guppies are just over 3 weeks old so today i move them to a larger fish tank I keep them well fed on microworms, daphnia, boiled egg yolk, mussel, and Spirulina powder, I've sadly lost 4 out of 50 :sad:
IMG_2553 (640x480).jpg

Last edited:
Make sure there is an established filter in the tank and do big daily water changes to keep the nutrients down.

Ooohh, what kind of guppies? Photos? :D
this wild-type guppy has been kept and been inbreed by same guppy breeder for over 50 years. I got some from him about 2 years ago recently one of them has produced a double sword in which I have taken a liking to so through selective breeding hope to produce more of them
IMG_3157 (640x432).jpg

this wild-type guppy has been kept and been inbreed by same guppy breeder for over 50 years. I got some from him about 2 years ago recently one of them has produced a double sword in which I have taken a liking to so through selective breeding hope to produce more of them
View attachment 118963
That's a stunning fish! Wishing you all the luck in producing more of the double swords, please keep us updated with your progress!

I bought some feeder guppies to help cycle a tank (planted cycle) they were just large fry at the time. When they grew I found that I had 1 male and 7 females and he kept very busy. In no time my 29 gallon tank was over run with fry. I transferred them to my RES Turtle tank. I also bought 5 fancy guppies for my LOTR tank and I noticed that I have at least one dumbo guppy now from fry born in that tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back