The Frog And The Great Escape

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

smudge_

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I am currently sitting in the University Library, I just got a call from my housemate to give me some news.....

He said he saw a furry thing on the hallway floor, he presumed it was a spider, he went over to get rid of it and discovered it was the African drawf frog I bought today! He was covered in fluff and trying to "swim" across the hall. Somehow he managed to jump out of the fishtank (the water level is at least an inch below the top of the tank), walk across my bedroom, go under the door, go across the upstairs landing, down the stairs and right across the hall! So much for being an aquatic frog who can barely swim to the top of the tank!

Apparently he is now safely back in the tank looking as happy as ever, but this has to be one of the oddest stories I have ever heard in my life.

Sounds familiar.

Back in September, I found one of my frogs under the plastic box we put the recycling in ready to take out to the garage. It had escaped from the tank, which is on the kitchen worktop, and found its way 15 feet round the L shaped kitchen. It didn't have much fluff on it because the kitchen has a vinyl floor covering, but it was bad enough. I posted on here straight away, and followed jenste's advice. The frog is still alive and well months later.

Jenste said not to put it back in the tank but to float it in a tub of shallow water and not feed it for a week. Frogs dehydrate when they are out of the tank and this leaves them so weak they often can't get to the surface and drown. And the dehydration knocks their digestive systems out, so they shouldn't have any food for a while. It was about five days till my frog started pooing again.

Oh dear, he has already been put back in the tank (he couldn't have been it longer than half an hour before he jumped!) and I wouldn't be able to tell the two of my frogs apart if I tried. I hope he will be ok!

my two frogs are different colours so I've always been able to tell them apart - well, one of them has a paler background skin so it's spots stand out more than the other one.
Here's the thread, you can see what jenste said to look out for. http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/372497-dwarf-frog-mishap/page__p__3114572#entry3114572

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back