The easiest live plants to care for?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

BleuTheBetta

Fish Crazy
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hello! I really want to add some live plants to my 5gal betta tank. I have him and a Nerite snail in there.
I do have a good light, I will need to figure out the wattage of it.
I have always liked floaters, and I do have wood that I could connect plants to.
What would be the easiest keeper to start with?
Water parameters:
0 Ammonia
0 Nitrites
0 Nitrates
No chlorine
Water pH is about 7.5.
Heater is set to 78, the tank is about 77.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

You definitely want some floating plants, so the betta will be able to cruise among them as it does naturally. And these are some of the easiest plants. Frogbit already mentioned is a floater, others are Water Sprite and Water Lettuce.

Agree on all the plants that Slaphppy7 said. Also, Hornwort is an "floater" plant, that has always been easy for me...i have heard some people say "if" it dies it drops a mess of needles everywhere, but again, I've had no issues. I also like cobamba (can be floater or planted).

Anacharis is really easy. You can plant it or float it.
Salvinia minima is another easy floating plant. Only thing about that is that it doesn't like a lot of movement. Otherwise, it's bulletproof.

Regarding the question about hornwort and alkalinity, my tap water is 7.2-7.4, so fairly neutral/slightly alkaline. I have kept it in more acidic water without issue (thus far)...like maybe 6.0-6.5. Not sure about how it will do outside of those parameters.

This plant thing is odd, Moneywort (Bacopa monnieri) from petschmert is a good deal and grows great for me, the odd stalk base rots away but then it thrives as a floater. Other curse it.

I have Christmas moss, anubias, java fern, dwarf lettuce, red root floaters, subwassertang.

They are all easy plants that don't even require a substrate.

Thank you all! I will take all of this into consideration:) Where could I get these plants?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back