The DNA thread for my dog (get your guesses in)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
did they also ask for a description such as size, age etc

Eeekk! Are you excited to find out?

I think it took a few weeks to get my girl's results if I remember right, but that was a few years ago.
We are all very excited to know what's in her!
Hopefully it doesn't take weeks but oh well... Scientific research can take a bit sometimes.

Do they ask for a picture of your dog?
Its optional when building the profile and sense my mom had me set it up, I put a picture of her in there...
Mine did, which bothered me. They shouldn't need it, and makes it a bit more sus. Think it also asked what you think the primary breed is, but I may be misremembering that.
I don't see any issue with it... Don't understand why that's an issue...
They ask for the dogs date of birth or apx date of birth. And I can't remember if they asked for weight but I don't think so... All these things were optional to add. Its just to build onto her profile

I did mine more than 5 years ago now and memory has never been the best, so I honestly can't remember. I do remember the photo thing though because it bugged me at the time.
I don't see any issue with it... Don't understand why that's an issue...

Because why do they need a photo to perform a DNA test? For mine, it was required. The tests were still in a "just how accurate are they?" zone then, and there were fears that people with a good eye for breeds would look at the photos to 'confirm' or adjust the results they sent you.

This was a while ago, so their DNA profile banks should be much larger and hopefully more accurate now, but we went into it with the mindset of it being a bit of fun, rather than 100% scientific proof.

As far as I'm concerned, if they want pictures of the dog and additional details (age, height, weight, sex, etc), that is a waste of time and possible deception/ fraud. DNA testing will tell them what breeds are in the dog and what sex it is. Height, weight, colour, etc, should have nothing to do with the test. If they require that info, then they might not even be doing DNA tests and could simply be saying the dog looks like it has this, this and that in, so we call it a bit of this and a bit of that.

As far as I'm concerned, if they want pictures of the dog and additional details (age, height, weight, sex, etc), that is a waste of time and possible deception/ fraud. DNA testing will tell them what breeds are in the dog and what sex it is. Height, weight, colour, etc, should have nothing to do with the test. If they require that info, then they might not even be doing DNA tests and could simply be saying the dog looks like it has this, this and that in, so we call it a bit of this and a bit of that.

Some of the companies seem to be legit. Even the cheapy I went with had a pretty good rep/reviews/tests, because a lot of sources were actually testing them by sending the same dog's profile to different companies, or sending a different dog's photo in, that kinda thing.

The results did come centred around the photo of my dog in a nice little display like thing. But, Rocky said his didn't require a photo, so that's good. And like I said, ours wasn't expensive, was only really light-hearted and confirming what we already suspected, which were other breeds we hadn't told them and were traits shown more in her behaviour than visually, so I don't think it was an out and out fraud. Just that I wouldn't stake my life on the results, and I would have felt more confident in a blind test result.

They didn't require a photo. I just put it in there for her profile for fun. It was an optional thing to do along with some of the other info.

Siberian Husky
Australian Shepherd
And those adorable ears - maybe Carolina Dog?
Oh wow! I'm in the Carolinas and have never heard of a Carolina dog lol.
Just looked them up and there definitely could be some in her! Thank you for sharing!

Husky and rough/smooth collie? The shaping and floppy ends of the ears really point me towards collie, and they also come in merle.
She most definitely could have collie in her.
I have a feeling her test results will have a large medley of different breeds!

Also just a small update. The site says we will have results in late August. So sometime this month

Your dog is very beautiful! I personally don't care if it's a purebred or not, I love everyone and if it's a crossbreed that's absolutely no reason not to take it out of the shelter. Your dog looks most like a husky, definitely not a retriever - they have a golden color and another ear shape. Games are a must for such breed; they develop healthy muscles, strong teeth, and help with training. I bought my dog https://www.doggietoys.deals/product/funny-rubber-squeaky-rope-toy/ and he really liked it. Huskies are also requiring a special enhanced protein diet with regular exercise.

Last edited:
Your dog is very beautiful! I personally don't care if it's a purebred or not, I love everyone and if it's a crossbreed that's absolutely no reason not to take it out of the shelter. Your dog looks most like a husky, definitely not a retriever - they have a golden color and another ear shape.
Yah. I made another thread for the results. She is 50% great pyrenees, 40% Siberian Husky, and 10% German Shepherd! Really nice results imo...
20220814_154919.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back