The Cycle?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

guppymonkey

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Before coming here I had never really heard of the cycle except in baseball (hitting for the cycle). I haven't checked the levels of ammonia, nitrate and nitrite in my tank.(is that the three for the cycle? I am still a little confused) My tank has been running for a week and a half and the fish seem fine. The couple books on keeping tropical fish tanks don't even mention the cycle or checking the levels. Do I have to go find a test? And will my fish survive the few days until I can go to the store to get it?

Hi guppymonkey. Unfortunately, a majority of lfs's don't care to explain about the cycling of a tank. Or even ask if the fish is going into an established tank or not.

It's great that you care enough to ask on here.

Read the 2 links in my signature below about fishless cycling and then ask whatever questions you may have and that might be easier for you. :)

I just read about the fishless cycle and wish I had known before I bought the fish because I can't do a fishless cycle now. I should have started learning how to take care of a tank before starting one up again. Dang.

OK then. We'll all do our best to help your fishies in the meantime. :)

I would definately get at least an ammonia and nitrite test kit. (nitrIte not nitrAte)

While you're at the lfs, have them give you some mature filter media and some mature gravel. This will seed the tank a bit and help jump start the cycle.

Once you get your test kit, test the ammonia level. If they are at 0ppm then test the nitrite.

Seeing as you have fish in there, you might have to do 10% water changes to make it easier on your fish. This might extend the cycle but it will be easier for your fish and this is what's most important.

Please ask any other questions you have and make sure you try and post back your ammonia and nitrite readings so we can help you step by step on how best to go about it. :)

Well, I just did a partial water change last night like you suggested but I have to wait until tomorrow to get an ammonia and nitrite test kit. I don't think I will get mature filter media from the lps because the stores around where I live aren't very good but they are the only places that sell fish or fish supplies. So, I will write back tomorrow with the results from the tests. Thanks!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back