The cult of "DIY KING". Just bizarre.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I don't make YouTube videos. If I were to make my first one today, I can assure you that video would not be a good representation of my real personality. It would take quite some time to feel comfortable and really be myself.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I'm not seeing any good or reason to get on here and bash him.
Same here. I don't see why not being the best at scaping is a reason to hate on him. I can safely say that I'm not the best at it, and most people I've seen on forums aren't great either. That doesn't reflect on my knowledge though.

And tbh, there isn't a single Youtube channel that has shown me something I didn't already know. Not saying I know everything in any way. I still have plenty to learn and I'm always looking to learn something new. I do love watching Rachel and Cory though. I still haven't seen a good reason to bash this guy. Mainly just seems to be directed at how toxic his fans can be? Doesn't seem to reflect on him though. I've seen Youtubers give out terrible info, keeping fish in inappropriate conditions and losing a whole lot of fish. I won't name names but the King of DIY is definitely nowhere near as bad as them imo.
The mans following is cult like..he's killed fish left and right,that he admits too..he doesn't offer any quality info that I've heard. He's king of vamping...just what the cult loves. Its like he smiles big and tap dances. A fraud really.
Like I said..I clicked,do not show me this channel..and still got one. One million cult members overrode youtube algorithm.
One more thing about that guy...he might smooze with other channel hosts..and all are afraid to point out..he's not an expert,but he's close to narcissist-- kiss those muscles for the millionth time... I think they are afraid of his cult people ruining their channel. Like somebody else we all know....
Thank goodness he's just a fish man..ha.
Okay, this is starting to seem a bit odd and gratuitous. You are entitled to you opinion of course, but some is this seems to be mere conjecture. To me this is seeming more and more like a hit piece. I'd like to turn this to a more positive note if you wouldn't mind. Which channels do you actually like and why? I think that it would be better for the hobby to know of the people to actually learn from and I'd like to check out a few more.

He has killed a lot of fish, including a Arowana. He didn't have a lid on the tank. I don't own one and even I know Arawanas need a lid! Its crazy.

But let's not get to wrapped up in hate, or the staff might lock the thread.

I would no more say that this is a cult than so many other youtubers with millions of subscribers

Same here. I don't see why not being the best at scaping is a reason to hate on him. I can safely say that I'm not the best at it, and most people I've seen on forums aren't great either. That doesn't reflect on my knowledge though.

And tbh, there isn't a single Youtube channel that has shown me something I didn't already know. Not saying I know everything in any way. I still have plenty to learn and I'm always looking to learn something new. I do love watching Rachel and Cory though. I still haven't seen a good reason to bash this guy. Mainly just seems to be directed at how toxic his fans can be? Doesn't seem to reflect on him though. I've seen Youtubers give out terrible info, keeping fish in inappropriate conditions and losing a whole lot of fish. I won't name names but the King of DIY is definitely nowhere near as bad as them imo.

Okay, this is starting to seem a bit odd and gratuitous. You are entitled to you opinion of course, but some is this seems to be mere conjecture. To me this is seeming more and more like a hit piece. I'd like to turn this to a more positive note if you wouldn't mind. Which channels do you actually like and why? I think that it would be better for the hobby to know of the people to actually learn from and I'd like to check out a few more.

I agree. We should focus on the good and not hatred.

Obviously we know lids are important, especially with fish that are known to jump. I've had jumpers over the years squeeze through even the tightest lids....some of which don't normally jump.

I had a giant danio somehow jump out of a very tightly fit lid a few months ago. Am I a fish killer that knows nothing about fish keeping? I'm human and unfortunately things don't always go as planned. Afterwords, I made sure that an ant couldn't sneak out of that tank.

DIY King certaintly knows that he made a costly mistake with that arowana. Hopefully viewers can learn from his mistake.

He has killed a lot of fish, including a Arowana. He didn't have a lid on the tank. I don't own one and even I know Arawanas need a lid! Its crazy.

But let's not get to wrapped up in hate, or the staff might lock the thread.
There was a lid on the tank. it jumped through it. He's had aros for 10+ years I believe, so he's well aware. Again I haven't watched all his vids, but I haven't noticed a lot of them dying. I've seen some die in heat waves, through jumping in the case of the aro and one other fish. I have only seen a few die on his channel. He's definitely not the best imo, but he's far from the worst. I know I've lost some of my fish, and I'm sure plenty of members here have too. And I've had friends on forums lose fish due to jumping through lids, small gaps in lids or during water changes. I wouldn't discount them due to that, they were very knowledgeable.

He still should have made sure the lid way fully secure. I mean, to spend over $400 on a fish and then have it die because you didn't take precautions, is just sad to me.

He still should have made sure the lid way fully secure. I mean, to spend over $400 on a fish and then have it die because you didn't take precautions, is just sad to me.
I'm pretty sure it was more like 2-3000 dollars! Which is pretty crazy in and of itself. Unfortunately, part of the arowana hobby is that the chance of dying from a jump is very high. Even with a lid, they can jump through it or damage themselves when they jump into it. One of the reasons I'll never have one is due to this. They must have jumped like that thousands of times over the years, just unfortunate this time didn't go as the rest did. Even the best of them have freak accidents like this. I've had friends on forums with oscars and eels that did this too.

No I didn't say that. I said I wasn't interested in his channel weeks ago..and then one popped up . Look the guys a near murderer. Strangled a man. I didn't want to get into that but you seem to thinks he's god's gift. He's into what brings the dough in. his personality change is what he wants to portray,Because I don't hear or see any expertise from him.
Like I said,it's sad ,the thing that might be worst, is that people write right those awful fawning posts to "Joey"..like he's some god come to save them all. It is over the top ridiculous. Watch "Joey" all you want. I'm warning the open minded.
Huckster with a nice thing going is all he is. Or,WATCH him until the cows come home if you want. Free country.

Last edited:
No I didn't say that. I said I wasn't interested in his channel weeks ago..and then one popped up . Look the guys a near murderer. Strangled a man. I didn't want to get into that but you seem to thinks he's god's gift. He's into what brings the dough in. his personality change is what he wants to portray,Because I don't hear or see any expertise from him.
Like I said,it's sad ,the thing that might be worst, is that people write right those awful fawning posts to "Joey"..like he's some god come to save them all. It is over the top ridiculous. Watch "Joey" all you want. I'm warning the open minded.
Huckster with a nice thing going is all he is. Or,WATCH him until the cows come home if you want. Free country.
Nobody thinks hes the best thing ever, were just saying that everybody makes mistakes, hopefully learns something from them, and can hopefully become successful afterwards :)

Nobody thinks hes the best thing ever, were just saying that everybody makes mistakes, hopefully learns something from them, and can hopefully become successful afterwards :)
Also, YouTube, facebook, and other sites dont always follow what your interested in, my mom dosen't t drink, or eat bacon and she keeps getting notifications about beer and bacon events, even after blocking them

He definitely has a bad past. No denying that. But I think the fact that he served his time and has since tried to turn his life around says something. The past is the past, people can turn their lives around. One of my favourite actors, Jon Bernthal, nearly killed a man. Then he decided that that wasn't the life he wanted, strived to be better and made a life for himself. Same with Joey. And again, that past doesn't mean that his content isn't useful or hasn't helped people. Rachel O'leary and Aquarium COOP are the channels I watch most. They haven't supplied me with info I didn't already know. Doesn't take away from their channels though.

Now I'm pretty open minded. I've been reading this thread, then going to watch the videos about the events that are being discussed. That's important, reading a comment on the internet and deciding that someone is deserving of criticism based off that is not open-minded. From what I've been reading here, compared with the actual videos, it seems quite a bit of the hate is unwarranted. And thinking critically about this doesn't mean people here think he's Gods gift. I agree that fans can be over the top, haters too. Every large Youtuber has quite a loyal, sometimes harsh following. Its not unique to Joey. Even the aquarium channels that are actually abusive have followings like this. Just don't let people like that get to you. Its very unlikely that you or they will be able to sway the opinions of the others.

but you seem to thinks he's god's gift.
Nobody said that except for you.

Seriously though, enough of this hatred. This is an amazing hobby and we come here to share our experience. I'd love to see your tanks.

I concur, lets all upload pictures of our favorite tanks! :)

He definitely has a bad past. No denying that. But I think the fact that he served his time and has since tried to turn his life around says something. The past is the past, people can turn their lives around. One of my favourite actors, Jon Bernthal, nearly killed a man. Then he decided that that wasn't the life he wanted, strived to be better and made a life for himself. Same with Joey. And again, that past doesn't mean that his content isn't useful or hasn't helped people. Rachel O'leary and Aquarium COOP are the channels I watch most. They haven't supplied me with info I didn't already know. Doesn't take away from their channels though.

Now I'm pretty open minded. I've been reading this thread, then going to watch the videos about the events that are being discussed. That's important, reading a comment on the internet and deciding that someone is deserving of criticism based off that is not open-minded. From what I've been reading here, compared with the actual videos, it seems quite a bit of the hate is unwarranted. And thinking critically about this doesn't mean people here think he's Gods gift. I agree that fans can be over the top, haters too. Every large Youtuber has quite a loyal, sometimes harsh following. Its not unique to Joey. Even the aquarium channels that are actually abusive have followings like this. Just don't let people like that get to you. Its very unlikely that you or they will be able to sway the opinions of the others.
I agree. You worded my thoughts perfectly. It's awesome when someone can turn their life around and make something out of it. Many of his mistakes seem to be mistakes even experienced aquarists can/will/do make

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back