The cult of "DIY KING". Just bizarre.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Stan510

Fish Herder
Reaction score
If you've seen this guy in action...he's really not too knowledgeable about fish or plants. What's strange is people post like he's their God...affirmations, life turned around,"Joey I LIVE BECAUSE OF YOU!'
His whole act started as Mr. Serious on how to build tanks 9 years ago or so...then he became a personality spouting some weird claims with stories he made up to back them up. Like a certain President..wink.
I don't get it. He's got more subscribers than people who really do know aquariums like Rachel or the guys with big fish like Ohio or Florida fish rescue with Viktor.
He has rows of sterile looking tanks..a few fish here and a few there..no rhyme or reason. It's obvious he's vamping to get more subscribers with nonsense jabber and theories.
He's a hustler. Another on youtube. Love me on patreon.
JEEZUZ..like a cult.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion. I do a bit of fish related DIY and enjoyed Joey's earlier videos. I'm not as much interested in his more recent gallery video's. But credit where credit is due, he has over a million YouTube subscribers. And when he was building the gallery, in a GoFundMe, he raised over $50K in 48 hours!.....and he shut it down early as it would have gone much higher. Then there's Custom Aquariums that gave him all those 125g tank setups and the company (I forgot the name) that gave him those custom backgrounds.
So yeah, he's got a lot of fans...but then so do those Kardashians!!!!

I really like most of his videos. He's not scripted and has some interesting tanks and fish. And he builds some of his aquariums...like his indoor pond. And he show enthusiasm in the hobby. Yes, he makes his living off of youtube but if it wasn't interesting to watch his videos, his subscribers and views would drop off.

I watch another interesting guy's videos on youtube (not fish related) nearly daily..."Unbox Therapy". He gets more views than DIY ....often over a million views on his new videos within one day. He reviews lots of newer gadgets and electronics on his videos....many of which are sent to him for free from the manufacturers. He seems honest in his reviews and can talk off the cuff and has a great sense of humor. He makes a handsome living off his youtube earnings. Sure would be nice to make big bucks from posting videos on youtube. Check out his videos.

Unbox therapy? How did I miss that?..I've bookmarked most of the better aquarium guys. Green Aqua,George Farmer,Rachel,..others are sort of in the middle,some admit they sell plants..but the ones that do it tastefully I enjoy,learn.
King,with buying what he thinks is on the pulse of patreon givers is my feeling. Then,they disappear when he realizes nobody needs 6 larger wild Cichla and 18 fingerlings. Or 3 Red Tail Cats. He learned the wild predators would never eat anything but live fish. The big cats are just huge and will eat anything half their size when they get skipped a days meals. Safe tankmates become...gone tankmates. I knew all that when he made his monster fish pond. The Red Arowanas are now three he had are now one alone. He has the tank size..but the wrong approach. I can tell,he ignores advice.
One weird incident? He railed that the 3-D background to the Arowana tank was wrong,and he was angry as he took it out of the tank and went back to the white bathtub look background. All I can guess is,he had a falling out with the company that GAVE him that mega buck customized to fit his tank. He asked too much?..just me guessing because I liked the Banyan tree roots a heck of a lot better than the bathtub decor.
I guess what really gets me is people swallow his schtick hook line and sinker...he talks of aquariums and people post those awful fawning testimonial comments!

He did state when he set up the catfish pond that they would get too big for it. He said from the beginning that he was showing people how large the cute little fish they buy would get. Tbh, he's one of the aquarium Youtubers I have the least complaints about. There are much worse guys and I have only had a few complaints about him. He isn't the best Youtuber imo as I just find his videos to be on the boring and repetitive side. However I definitely disagree that he isn't knowledgeable. I haven't seen much to suggest that, admittedly I haven't watched all his vids though. And I believe the company that made the background is making him a new one that takes up less space. There wasn't enough room with how big the fish were getting, the rays in particular.

I didn't notice it had taken up much space myself. 2,000 gallons..and he wants flat 3-d?
Something about him that has huckster. He's good at building things..but many on the internet say he stole their ideas and gave them no credit. PondGuru and some guys who did LED lighting how to's say he just ripped them off.

I didn't notice it had taken up much space myself. 2,000 gallons..and he wants flat 3-d?
It took up quite a bit of floor space that the rays could have used. And they still have quite a bit of growing to do. I don't see how taking it out shows his lack of knowlegde or ability though?
Something about him that has huckster. He's good at building things..but many on the internet say he stole their ideas and gave them no credit. PondGuru and some guys who did LED lighting how to's say he just ripped them off.
There is quite a bit of that in the youtube fishkeeping hobby unfortunately. There were even people that took the King od DIY's video word for word and made their own. I don't watch lighting tutorials, or any for that matter, so I wouldn't know about this here. I don't watch PondGuru much either, but from searching I can't find PondGuru saying that?

He really isn't that good. He made that, "How fish keeping saved my life" video just for views. How can people trust him after he was arrested and sentenced to 3 years in prison for attempted murder? Come on people.

I like his videos. He's a likable guy and makes interesting and informative videos.

I've learned a few things, but mostly I watch for entertainment.

I'd love to run a fish room and make videos as a living. What a wonderful job and I'm happy for him that he can do just that.

Anyone that claims that they know everything about this hobby is foolish. There is always something to learn in this hobby. Joey isn't perfect, neither is anyone else here.

He's doing a great thing for himself. the hobby, and fish keepers around the world.

If you don't like his videos, don't watch them.

Never heard of him but anyone that keeps arowanas and red cats shouldnt be giving advice to average fish keepers. Those fish get big and need lots of room so unless one is building an aquarium for a city aquarium i dont know how much his you tube video has to offer to the average fish keeper

Last edited:
Pond guru was talking about some vortex filter he came up with and said that a certain King TOOK his idea and never credited him. Plus a guy who did the spiral strip LED's? so you get very bright light for dollars?..KING's vid he says was a straight copy. I saw king copycats version stole is right...no credit given.
I watched some of the building vids..but once he went all personality..and the money and freebies were pouring in,he was pure vamping. He doesn't know water plants...his tanks are like wholesalers. Pretty much bare,sterile. I can honestly say he's never once said something that was knew to me..just the opposite..I knew he was BS ing when he said an Arowana died "of a broken back"..like he's an animal pathologist for that??
He's far more into it now more to make money than he his a real fish lover..oh,he likes them...but he's opened a bank vault and I will say it again..he's vamping,killing time to keep the channel going and income flowing.
Theres like a 19 year old kid- Ryan Watanabe..he's 100X better than the King at keeping a great looking aquarium. I think he was like 17 when he started the channel. One example of loving aquariums...and Kings sell,sell,sell...himself.

Actually,i hit the "not interested in this channel" weeks ago and the other day..one of his vids still came up. What got this editorial going.

I don't make YouTube videos. If I were to make my first one today, I can assure you that video would not be a good representation of my real personality. It would take quite some time to feel comfortable and really be myself.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I'm not seeing any good or reason to get on here and bash him.

Reactions: Bub
The mans following is cult like..he's killed fish left and right,that he admits too..he doesn't offer any quality info that I've heard. He's king of vamping...just what the cult loves. Its like he smiles big and tap dances. A fraud really.
Like I said..I clicked,do not show me this channel..and still got one. One million cult members overrode youtube algorithm.
One more thing about that guy...he might smooze with other channel hosts..and all are afraid to point out..he's not an expert,but he's close to narcissist-- kiss those muscles for the millionth time... I think they are afraid of his cult people ruining their channel. Like somebody else we all know....
Thank goodness he's just a fish man..ha.

I just want to get this right.....

The DIY King cult members overrode youtube itself to have a video pop up on your feed?

This is all nonsense now. Add "DIY King cult" to the long list of conspiracy theories.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back