The Big Switchover

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I swapped the hermit this morning for a handful of turbo snails.

I was going to put the store credit from him towards some live rock but the PetCo only sells the crap rock that's manufactured like concrete with pebbles and stuff in it. That stuff doesn't look natural at all so I passed on it.

I have a lead on a pet shop about 35-40 minutes from my house that specializes in just saltwater. I'm gonna try and take a ride there this week sometime to check it out and see what's what.

I haven't updated in quite some time, but no problem! Nothing much has happend until this past weekend when I picked up 20 more pounds of live rock, FINALLY. It looks much better, I do kinda like the minimalist look, but I need more rock.

DSC_0505.jpg

I did find one really cool hitchhiker. One little six-legged sea star. It's in the process of regenerating a couple legs, but it's still super cool.

DSC_0498.jpg

And, of course, the one lone clownfish is still alive and well!

DSC_0502.jpg

That live Rock is much better looking, IMO. You need more, but you already know that.

L

Nice looking tank mate :) how much live rock you going for in total or is it just till your happy?

I'm not entirely sure. I'm probably going to keep adding until I'm happy with the amount of rock and the layout.

Just be aware that unless you always go cured, you'll get some sort of spike with each addition of LR. Even with cured rock, there's still a chance for die-off if it was left out to dry for too long. Just watch your fish and inverts after you add and always be prepared with water for water changes.

L

So I have the worst luck with T-5 lighting.

My original 2x54 watt T-5 unit burnt out the ballast seconds after unpacking it. I went through two ballasts in that fixture before I got fed up with it and bought a different light.

This newer fixture is a Coralife 2x54 watt and it had been working fantastically for quite some time now until the other day. It simply stopped working. I swapped in new tubes and still no dice.

Has anyone else had crap luck with T-5 lights? This is my second one down in less than two years (more if you count the three ballasts from the first one).

So I have the worst luck with T-5 lighting.

My original 2x54 watt T-5 unit burnt out the ballast seconds after unpacking it. I went through two ballasts in that fixture before I got fed up with it and bought a different light.

This newer fixture is a Coralife 2x54 watt and it had been working fantastically for quite some time now until the other day. It simply stopped working. I swapped in new tubes and still no dice.

Has anyone else had crap luck with T-5 lights? This is my second one down in less than two years (more if you count the three ballasts from the first one).

I've never had this problem with Coralife. I've had the same T5 fixture for over 5 years. Dunno what's going on with yours. :crazy:

That stinks though. :(

Well this weekend, after doing a water change I decided to head to the pet store to (finally) get a cheap light fixture to get me by until I can save up the coin to get a new T-5 light....again.

I also may have walked out with some company for my lone clownfish. I picked up another ocellaris clown, a firefish, and a high fin red banded goby.

Of course I have pics!

GOBY

DSC_0690.jpg

Firefish! I love the colors on this thing. I do really want a Helfrich's firefish, but the cheapest one I've found is 125 bucks!

DSC_0659.jpg

The little guy is the new one.

DSC_0640.jpg

Full tank shot.

DSC_0650-1.jpg

read this from the start today and i enjoyed reading it, ive had similar problematic gifts (which ive had to return) so dont be too disheartened :) seems we are at the same stage tank wise aswell, so ill watch this journal and make comparissons :p hows your sump coming along anymore news on that? :D

I haven't started on the sump yet. Or the refugium. The tank has been overshadowed, as far as improvements to it go, with the coming of spring. I just bought a motorcycle so I'm getting that ready for the road, I've been out fishing, and spending a lot of time with my toddler. I haven't had a lot of time, or money, to spend on improvements for the tank. Hopefully this weekend I can finally get around to making my 29 gallon a refugium right next to the main display tank. But we'll play that by ear, I don't know how busy my wife has planned my weekend out for me. Maintenance on the tank hasn't fell by the wayside, the tank is still healthy, just not doing too much with it lately.

I do, however, have concerns over my new firefish. All it does when it's not feeding time is lay down behind one if my pieces of live rock. I rarely see it. When I saw it today it was starting to look pretty skinny. Any ideas out there?

Awww, well we understand that life has a priority. If the tank is still healthy, that's great.

Is the fire fish still actively eating??

If it is, then I suspect a parasite or bacterial infection.

If it's trying to eat but it may be getting bullied by another fish. Fish hide when they are not well, or if they are being bullied.

L

The firefish wasn't interested in the offerings this morning (Ocean Nutrition formula 1 pellets). I'm going to try some frozen brine shrimp later to see if it's tempted by that.

I don't think it's being bullied. The two clownfish set up shop on the other side of the tank from where the firefiah is and the banded Toby, I don't think, would bother it.

I'm left thinking it is some illness. Any ideas on possible treatments or medications?

the tank is coming along well my only advice would be to take it slowly I rushed in the past and messed up

Are tyou not going to get any corals? they dont half make a tank look better

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back