The Beehive: Bumble Bee Goby Tank In The Making. Seeking Advice For Sa

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

TooManyChoices

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My Bumblebee Goby tank. Need some help planning?
I've set up a little tank (slightly less than 10 gallons) for a group of Bumblebee Gobies. This is the tank.

15FC9F6B-280C-4487-9CB8-5E3AF8E00F65-3169-0000050EB9121E07_zpsb4eff043.jpg

Basically just river rocks, goldvine pieces and some assorted twigs and some IAL to tannin stain the water.

I haven't done any testing yet but added 4 big teaspoons of AQUARIUM salts (not marine salts) and there's a small piece of white rock in there to buffer the pH.

Now, assuming this tank is fine to add fish to, is it an okay plan, to get a small group of 4 or so gobies, introduce them, get them identified and then go about gradually increasing the salinity to the appropriate level?

It seems that many people think differently about these fish. Some are freshwater that tolerate brackish, and vice versa. Some are straight fresh or need brackish.

I have a Bumble Bee Goby and mine is in freshwater yet appears to be a Brachygobius Doriae which is supposed to be a Brackish fish. They are territorial for their size and can be aggressive. What are the "assorted twigs"? You shouldn't put any twigs in your aquarium unless you know what they are for definite so if you don't then take them out and do a 100% water change. They don't need IAL and not all species need Brackish Water despite things saying they do. It's 99.9% impossible to identify the species of BBG unless you know where in the wild they are from. Hence why I only suspect mine may be a Doriae. Stripes and colouring mean nothing between Doriae and Xanthozona but I can guarantee you if it looks like these then it's Doriae. Xanthozona is only seen in museums. As said - Neale Monks is the expert, this is just my experience.

Thanks, the twigs are fine, they've been kept in a number of tanks over a few years. As for the IAL, these fish are generally from mangrove areas, that tend to have leaf litter build up, and stained water. 

Thanks for advice on I.D's. 

TooManyChoices said:
Thanks, the twigs are fine, they've been kept in a number of tanks over a few years. As for the IAL, these fish are generally from mangrove areas, that tend to have leaf litter build up, and stained water. 

Thanks for advice on I.D's. 

Yes but I've never kept them in blackwater which is essentially what IAL creates. Mine have always been in pure fresh tap water, no de-chlorinator or anything. Just water, plants, light, heater, filter and the BBG(s). I now only have 1 but that's simply because he went on a bit of a rampage and now kills just about everything alive.

Haha so they must be pretty tough little beastie! Was that yours that ate the guppy? That's some horror movie stuff right there? How big is goby?

TooManyChoices said:
Haha so they must be pretty tough little beastie! Was that yours that ate the guppy? That's some horror movie stuff right there? How big is goby?

Yup that was mine. He also took a chunk out of my female shadow catfish the little so an so. And less than an inch long. He's also been living with the shadow catfish over a year now and suddenly turned on them. Tank was big enough for them.

TooManyChoices said:
Bizarre to think that little fish mouths have that much power!

I know! I was so shocked... I searched for other explanations about the guppy and there was none :( It was definitely the BBG.

The BBGs imported to the hobby (which cannot be identified reliably to species level) all seem to want the same thing. Hard freshwater will do, if water quality and diet are good, but very slightly brackish conditions (around SG 1.002-1.003) is optimal, and provides a little extra goodness that keeps them happy.

Forget about trying to identify the species you have in your aquarium; you can't! Scientists can't do this without looking at them under the microscope, and more than likely DNA analysis is needed to be completely sure.

Cheers, Neale

TooManyChoices said:
It seems that many people think differently about these fish. Some are freshwater that tolerate brackish, and vice versa. Some are straight fresh or need brackish.

Thanks Neale, word around town is you're the expert on these little fish! Any other 'secrets' for success would be much appreciated!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back