The Battle Of The Slow Growing Poly

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Awilcox

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am in the process of setting up a 150 gallon for mainly different poly species and my 2 oscars. The problem is, my Senegal (which is currently in my 55 with assorted mbuna, my endi and oscars) hasn't grown too much from about 3/4 inches since I bought him a few months ago. I am very worried that if I move him to the 150 the oscars will grow and decide he would be a nice snack, as it is not too long until he is fit in mouth size. My question is, should I leave him in the 55? Or set up a leftover 20L that I have as a grow out? I'm worried he will be picked on by the Africans in there alone with them. Thank you in advance!

Sorry you haven't had a reply yet!

I would leave the bichir in the 55g for a while.

How big and how often do you do water changes? If they're not big enough, that can lead to slow or poor growth.

The 20l tank would be far too small for it to grow properly.

Sorry not to clarify, the tank is a 20gallon long, not 20 liters. I do 50-75% water changes weekly. All of my other fish have been growing well, just this little guy is the only issue. I am also concerned about the fact that he is always on the surface of the water, which is know is common with the younger polys, but I wonder if putting him in a shallower tank would help him not work so hard to stay at the top? I'm going to my lfs today to see if they would trade me for a larger poly they have, I just feel for this little guy, and as my Mbuna get larger the males are becoming more agressive, I feel like the poor thing is in a shark tank ha ha

Oh, okay :)

It sounds like the little chap might have something wrong with him, tbh. I think I would put him in the 20 gallon then, to give him some peace and quiet and time to get better, if you're not returning him.

I got him from a different store than I am bringing him to, but they're awesome where I'm bringing him, by far the best lfs I've ever been to

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back