The Axolotl

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

My Axolotl lives in a 120L tank and he loves it :)
Just make sure you manage to meet all their requirements ^^

As for getting hold of one,
most LFS's can get hold of them, but wont unless they need to.
So if you do get one, make sure to get it the day it comes into the LFS.
They are usually put into tanks with animals which can harm them, the longer they're their
the more risk of disease and death they can have.
If they're in their own tank though, or with others of similar size (for adults).
Then it should be fine :).

Definately make sure to inspect your animal before hand though!

How good of an idea is it to keep an axolotl as a first salamander?

Also, what fish is that in your avatar? Thanks :)

They are usually put into tanks with animals which can harm them, the longer they're their
If they're in their own tank though, or with others of similar size (for adults).

Well, I don't know why you don't notice it it's an oscar fish the world's most popular cichlid to keep and breed.

hey Xenon Junkie, why don't you post what you had wrote about this "salamander", in the fish index?! you do know a lot about them.... I will try to get one or two of those salamaders, they soooo COOOOL!!

My first axolotl morphed into a salamander because I didn't know any better. I had him in a 40 tall tank . I trained him to come & hang out in this hammock thing that suctioned into a corner of the tank. It made him much easier to feed. he started sticking his head out of the water. His whole body changed . I first noticed that his pretty gills were gone & then noticed the change in his feet . tail & even his eyes. He became VERY unhappy to be in only water. I put him in a turtle tank w/ a bridge to hang out on . He escaped several times & luckily didn't get eaten by 1 of my cats. I ended up selling him to a good pet store where he could be a salamander. He only liked to eat in shallow water, otherwise he did not want to be in water any more. I learned my lesson after that.

I don't really understand... Do you need a un-submerged placce in an axolotl tank?

Also, how much usually is an Axolotl in the US? And are there any places I can get one for cheap? Thanks.

EDIT: Also I forgot I have one more question, in a scale of 1 to 10, how easy is it to care for an axolotl and keep it alive? (10 being very difficult, 1 very easy)

I don't really understand... Do you need a un-submerged placce in an axolotl tank?

Also, how much usually is an Axolotl in the US? And are there any places I can get one for cheap? Thanks.

EDIT: Also I forgot I have one more question, in a scale of 1 to 10, how easy is it to care for an axolotl and keep it alive? (10 being very difficult, 1 very easy)
I would say about 2-5...... they are not tooooooo easy, but they are a little easy to keep. The Lean to the easyness more than the hardeness.

No , you want them to stay in the water or they will morph into an unhappy salamander. I will rate them as easy & fun. You do need a big tank , at least 40 gall. They grow to be over a foot long. They are easy to tame & will beg & eat right out of your hand. I live in the U.S. in Wa. state & I can't find them for a good price anymore. Originally ( 13 yrs ago ) I paid $12.00. I finally found them last summer but they wanted $65.00 ! It was ridiculous. You must keep the water clean & let them be by themselves. I've kept as many as 4 adults in a tank & they don't bother each other. Hopefully they will breed which is really fun. My 2 are really enjoying the pond . It took them awhile to go wild & learn to stalk their own food but of course nature took it's course. They are so cute in prey mode w/ their heads down hunting. I don't think that they see well at all.

I think I might be joining you in owning one of these :) (or rather two of these). I did want tropical fish, however I've been reading that I can keep two adults in the same sized tank as I was wanting for tropical fish (I can upgrade the tank in future but not at the moment - space issues). I'm still not sure yet though.

Hey guys, i dont check this forum too often as my lifes quite busy. But here i'll do my best to answer your questions.

What do you guys feed yours?
My Axolotl feeds on a variety of foods. His Main Diet includes a random rotation of:
Red Mosquito Larvae (blood worm), Artemia, Mysis and Beef Heart.
Sometimes he'll eat earth worms as well if they are available.

He does also quite enjoy "Hikari sinking carnivour pellets". I used them as a food source when i went on holiday.
As my friend didnt fancy holding the food infront of clouds face and being bitten.
As i have sand though, i prefer frozen foods as it allows me to be feeding him away from it, limiting the chance of accidental sand ingestion and impaction.

I think axolotls are a brilliant first salamander.
They arnt the most difficult animal to keep, and they're full of personality.
They also have the advantage of being fully aquatic (unless Morphed),
which makes there requirements similar to fish keeping and more desirable.

hey Xenon Junkie, why don't you post what you had wrote about this "salamander", in the fish index?! you do know a lot about them.... I will try to get one or two of those salamaders, they soooo COOOOL!!

If I had enough time I may,
But i visit this forum occassionally.
Although it'd be easy just to copy and paste this into there i guess :)

All the axolotls tank is going to be water, the depth of that water is up to you. But the axolotl itself does not need an area of land to crawl onto. If Morph'd then the set up will need a complete change, as it becomes a more terrestrial animal.

I cant say how much they will cost, as im a Uk Resident. Here the price ranges dependant on the availability of the animal.

Personally i put them at being a 2/10 for ease.
I dont have to do much with mine. Regular water change, feed every few days. The only effort truely involved is getting the silly thing to notice the food infront of his face :p. But appart from that, i believe they are the perfect starter salamander. Especially for fish keepers.

I got 2 baby ones from my LFS a few months ago for £10 each and he had loads at the time,i got my big guy free from a member on here and just paid the postage costs.

thats good to hear :)
how are they doing?

They are brilliant fun,they all hand feed and the wee ones are growing fast :D

Im really glad to hear that :),
you'll have to get some pictures up for us!

Yeah I was really thinking of getting one until I found out how expensive they were in the U.S.(Well not really, the actual axolotl was $30.00 but the shipping was $70!)

No , you want them to stay in the water or they will morph into an unhappy salamander. I will rate them as easy & fun. You do need a big tank , at least 40 gall. They grow to be over a foot long. They are easy to tame & will beg & eat right out of your hand. I live in the U.S. in Wa. state & I can't find them for a good price anymore. Originally ( 13 yrs ago ) I paid $12.00. I finally found them last summer but they wanted $65.00 ! It was ridiculous. You must keep the water clean & let them be by themselves.
are you sure about the 40 gall. part? It says here that...

Young Axolotls maybe small and cute, but they shall not stay small forever! Remember to Accommodate for your Axolotls future not its present.
An Adult Axolotl can live quite happily in at least a 10 Gallon Aquarium, although I usually prefer larger. They are kept in smaller conditions in laboratories, but I’m not going to compare laboratories to pet ownership as they are two totally different worlds.

So I'm a little confused here... Will they be happy in a 15 gallon aquarium, or is the minimum 40 gallons?

Hey guys, i dont check this forum too often as my lifes quite busy. But here i'll do my best to answer your questions.

What do you guys feed yours?
My Axolotl feeds on a variety of foods. His Main Diet includes a random rotation of:
Red Mosquito Larvae (blood worm), Artemia, Mysis and Beef Heart.
Sometimes he'll eat earth worms as well if they are available.

He does also quite enjoy "Hikari sinking carnivour pellets". I used them as a food source when i went on holiday.
As my friend didnt fancy holding the food infront of clouds face and being bitten.
As i have sand though, i prefer frozen foods as it allows me to be feeding him away from it, limiting the chance of accidental sand ingestion and impaction.

I think axolotls are a brilliant first salamander.
They arnt the most difficult animal to keep, and they're full of personality.
They also have the advantage of being fully aquatic (unless Morphed),
which makes there requirements similar to fish keeping and more desirable.

If I had enough time I may,
But i visit this forum occassionally.
Although it'd be easy just to copy and paste this into there i guess :)

All the axolotls tank is going to be water, the depth of that water is up to you. But the axolotl itself does not need an area of land to crawl onto. If Morph'd then the set up will need a complete change, as it becomes a more terrestrial animal.

I cant say how much they will cost, as im a Uk Resident. Here the price ranges dependant on the availability of the animal.

Personally i put them at being a 2/10 for ease.
I dont have to do much with mine. Regular water change, feed every few days. The only effort truely involved is getting the silly thing to notice the food infront of his face :p. But appart from that, i believe they are the perfect starter salamander. Especially for fish keepers.

I got 2 baby ones from my LFS a few months ago for £10 each and he had loads at the time,i got my big guy free from a member on here and just paid the postage costs.

thats good to hear :)
how are they doing?

They are brilliant fun,they all hand feed and the wee ones are growing fast :D

Im really glad to hear that :),
you'll have to get some pictures up for us!

I shall get photos of them done next week :D

Yeah I was really thinking of getting one until I found out how expensive they were in the U.S.(Well not really, the actual axolotl was $30.00 but the shipping was $70!)

No , you want them to stay in the water or they will morph into an unhappy salamander. I will rate them as easy & fun. You do need a big tank , at least 40 gall. They grow to be over a foot long. They are easy to tame & will beg & eat right out of your hand. I live in the U.S. in Wa. state & I can't find them for a good price anymore. Originally ( 13 yrs ago ) I paid $12.00. I finally found them last summer but they wanted $65.00 ! It was ridiculous. You must keep the water clean & let them be by themselves.
are you sure about the 40 gall. part? It says here that...

Young Axolotls maybe small and cute, but they shall not stay small forever! Remember to Accommodate for your Axolotls future not its present.
An Adult Axolotl can live quite happily in at least a 10 Gallon Aquarium, although I usually prefer larger. They are kept in smaller conditions in laboratories, but I’m not going to compare laboratories to pet ownership as they are two totally different worlds.

So I'm a little confused here... Will they be happy in a 15 gallon aquarium, or is the minimum 40 gallons?

I can't imagine having 1 in a 10 gallon or a 15 gallon tank. It's too bad that they don't stay little & extra cute so they could. Instead they get huge. Mine are at least a foot long. They were fine in my 40 gallon tank but are much happier in the 500 gallon pond. I briefly had the 1 that morphed into a salamander in a 15 long tank & he was always trying to escape & was successful more than once. I like my pets to be happy & I don't think that there are very many fish that would really be happy in a 10 gallon tank JMO

Axoloti are cute!! but thier only hold back is that they are the larval stage of a salamander. I would say the best to do is to research both the Axoloti and the salamander. mine is living in the 10 meters long EMPTY pond that I was thinking of keeping my snakeheads in it, but those snakeheads are in a public aquarium for people to see them. the turtles usually make some visit to that pond but they preffer the pond with kois, arowanas and goldfishes. they don't harm my Axoloti. :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back