That's it, I give up regarding PH

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Snagrio

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
For the past few weeks I've been doing a wild goose chase regarding my tank's PH. Initially though some backyard rocks were messing up the PH and raising it higher than what the source was (7.5 to 8.0-8.2), but then I tested my QT tank last night and it ALSO read around 8.0, which didn't make sense as there was nothing in there that could possibly raise the PH.

Apparently this entire time the water was lying to me. Decided to do a test with a cup of water from the exact pipe source I use for water changes. When tested last night it read 7.5, but this afternoon I did it again and it was up to around that same 8.0 or so. So clearly there's some chemistry shenanigans going on when the bubbles from freshly applied water dissipates.

In the end, I give up worrying about it. I'm keeping a close eye on the more important parameters (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate and temperature) and all the fish I get will be from a local store and used to the same water anyway and I don't have any plans to breed anything. I've had enough of this headache. ?

For the past few weeks I've been doing a wild goose chase regarding my tank's PH. Initially though some backyard rocks were messing up the PH and raising it higher than what the source was (7.5 to 8.0-8.2), but then I tested my QT tank last night and it ALSO read around 8.0, which didn't make sense as there was nothing in there that could possibly raise the PH.

Apparently this entire time the water was lying to me. Decided to do a test with a cup of water from the exact pipe source I use for water changes. When tested last night it read 7.5, but this afternoon I did it again and it was up to around that same 8.0 or so. So clearly there's some chemistry shenanigans going on when the bubbles from freshly applied water dissipates.

In the end, I give up worrying about it. I'm keeping a close eye on the more important parameters (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate and temperature) and all the fish I get will be from a local store and used to the same water anyway and I don't have any plans to breed anything. I've had enough of this headache. ?
Good plan.

The exact same thing happens with my tap water. The carbonic acid escapes from the water over time which raises the pH. As such, my tap water has a pH of 7.4 but after 24 hours it rises to 8.0 as the carbonic acid as dissipated into the atmosphere.

The way I have always got around this for the past 12 years is to inject c02 from a Cylinder. It is an expensive way of resolving the problem but it is a solution that you may want to consider.

When the water is under pressure in the pipes, the natural gasses that are normally dissolved in the water can be forced out of the water. This can cause the pH to be lower or high than it should be.

In the OP's case, after 24 hours of aeration or being exposed to the air, the dissolved gasses get back to normal levels in the water and the pH goes up.

This is why we always ask to test pH in freshly run tap water and tap water that's been allowed to stand for 24 hours.

Tap water typically has some calcium carbonate and CO2 dissolved into it. Right before the water leave the treatment plants Chlorine or some other disinfectant is added. Those will react with calcium carbonate releasing more CO2 into the water. But in the pipes this CO2 cannot escape until it comes out of your water tap. CO2 makes the water acidic so water right out of the tap will have lower PH.

Sigh... So, I went to the LFS today thinking I was finally about to actually get some fish after months of meticulous planning and seemingly endless delays.

...I left with a box of MetroPlex (just to have it in my supplies), peat granules, some filter media bags and a soul full of disappointment. Not only were the black neon tetras I was about to get already infested with ich and undergoing treatment, but I found out the cardinal tetras and more than likely the dwarf cichlids I was looking at are wild caught, so in the end I have no choice but to get the PH down in my tanks while hoping it doesn't go too acidic and cause problems for my snails.

I even went to another generic pet store to see if they had any of the species I was looking for just so the trip wasn't a total waste of my time and gas, and there was nothing so once again I came home empty handed and have to wait yet another week to see if the peat does anything.

I'm tired... I am so tired of this perpetual cycle of problems, financial costs and delays...

There is another alternative - change your fish choice to suit your water.

What is the GH of your water? It's probably mentioned in another post somehwere, but can you post it in this thread as well please.

There is another alternative - change your fish choice to suit your water.

What is the GH of your water? It's probably mentioned in another post somehwere, but can you post it in this thread as well please.
The GH is zero (so about as soft as it can get), but the KH is all the way at the other end at 240 ppm. So I'm not sure how that factors in.

It would really suck if I had to completely rethink nearly if not the entire species plan though... I've made so many adjustments with the fish I already had (rehomed a number of them for different reasons). Surely the fish I see in the stores, tank bred and wild caught (though I'd try to get tank raised if possible), have already been sitting in regular water at the store and are thusly hardy enough to survive that far and can adjust right?

I've also decided to take back the granules the next time I make the trip. It simply sounds like too much of a risk trying to change the PH to that degree when every water change is going to throw the balance into turmoil which would be terrible for all organisms involved. It would work if I got a RO system but, that's money I cannot afford to toss around right now when this project has already been utter murder on my wallet.

PH regulator would help to keep your PH at a Neutral 7.0-7.2 level.
4A26E753-7FE0-48E6-94EE-9E71D4440E0D.jpeg

KH is known as the PH buffer so if this is excessively high you will have issues changing the PH of the tank.

I would recommend adding some Indian almond leaves to lower KH. I believe the peat moss you acquired only has a gradual and minimal effect.

KH is known as the PH buffer so if this is excessively high you will have issues changing the PH of the tank.

I would recommend adding some Indian almond leaves to lower KH. I believe the peat moss you acquired only has a gradual and minimal effect.
Yes
This product will not work in his tap water. It is only for use in RO water that needs to be conditioned.
I use Misty Natural Spring Water I buy from the Grocery Store and Never use Tap Water. I do use PH Regulators as a quick fix and Use Natural methods as well gradually and still testing PH. PH crashes are very dangerous on the health of the Fish.

In a silver lining twist of fate, I'm actually glad I didn't end up getting any fish as of yet. With the US blizzard on its way to where I live (literally in a matter of hours), there's a more than decent chance that the power's going to be knocked out, which if it does and lasts for more than a couple days would be disastrous for a QT crowded with a school of fish.

The GH is zero (so about as soft as it can get), but the KH is all the way at the other end at 240 ppm. So I'm not sure how that factors in.
Those are not typically tap water parameters. Does your home have a water softener? Water softeners remove calcium and magnesium reducing GH. But in the process they replace calcium and magnesium with sodium which increase KH and PH. If you do have a water softener you would be better off using the raw tap water that is not processed by the water softener.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back