Thanks for nothing Petco!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
No, the title remains the same. ;)

I AM beginning to wonder if I'm wrong as to the problem being a toxin rather than fungal. I still lean toward a toxin but, after all the fish were dead, I introduced a small deer antler to test as to if it would affect my PH. PH didn't change but, after 5-6 days the antler developed white 'hairs' all over. That seems fungal to me. Should have taken a photo before removing the antler but didn't think.

I still think the likely culprit was a toxin but it is things like the above that make me want to dose with anti-fungal and antibiotics before flushing and recycling. Once I've done the antibiotic and fungal stuff I'll also add carbon to the built in filtration chamber which should probably do nothing but I want to cover all bases.

Funny thing is that I just may spend more trying to save plants and decor than I would spend totally starting over. Then again it isn't a matter of cost as it has become personal.
The known anti fungus-meds and antiobiotics are "designed" to treat infections on (and some in).fish bodies. They "help" the body in case the natural immunesystem can't cope with "attacks" from outside.

It is useless to use them for the use you're describing. The misuse in this way might damage bacteria (that are always around) slightly and help them to make themselves immune for moments as decribed (infections). Also the natural balance in a thank is gone for some time.

Short : Don't do so.

If you want to this use a desinfectant (not advisable either btw).

Simply flush / waterchange and start with a small amount of fish.

Just an update...

I have the new substrate and my bundle of plants were shipped today so I'm ready to trash the tank and start over.

Even though Petco agreed to replace the fish I'm having second thoughts. I mean do I really want their fish? I may just bite the bullet and get my fish from the reputable on-line fish supplier that has a warehouse right next to my apartments.

Just to close this out it looks like I had success on sterilizing the tank as I have a bacteria bloom going. Doing a fishless cycle with plants. I had a bloom a while back with the Petco plants out of the tank. Put the plants back in and the bloom was gone in half a day.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back