Thanks for nothing Petco!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Oh no, my sincere condolences, that's awful! Your new pleco as well... :( :rip:

I think I'd be marching down to petco in person with photos and demanding to see the manager like a proper Karen! But, I know those big stores tend not to care, and it's usually not the fault of the floor staff, who haven't been trained properly. It's the big wigs who write those policies.

They may well be willing to replace fish I bought from them but it will probably be a battle. Best that I really see is a store credit that equals my loss but do I really want to use a store credit to get more of their stuff??? :dunno:
use the store credit for filter cartridges or something. I'd suggest an undergravel filter plate but I think you already have one. Warning: hardest tank to get ich out of is under gravel filter. Why I run my quarantine tanks bare glass with a sponge filter. I can bleach everything if something goes wrong

use the store credit for filter cartridges or something. I'd suggest an undergravel filter plate but I think you already have one. Warning: hardest tank to get ich out of is under gravel filter. Why I run my quarantine tanks bare glass with a sponge filter. I can bleach everything if something goes wrong
Well filter cartridges wouldn't work as my built in is reusable sponges. Just teasing on that as I know what you mean. ;) I could use a store credit for things like Prime chlorine treatment and such. I also need new air lines for my under gravel filtration. The current lines are too narrow and it is hard to keep the air stones from moving up in the risers.

So far the deer antler looks good as to my PH as the PH has not risen at all but then it has only been in the tank for a day. I'll know more on that after a week.
BTW, I like the tank, reminds me of my 20 gallon extra high. Loved that tank. Where did you find yours? ANd where diyou find the fake tree trunk. Most cool. 👍
I am also liking the tank but kind of wish I had gotten a 30 gallon cube instead of the 20 gallon. I was just a bit afraid of going larger than the 20 gallon as I live in a third floor apartment and didn't know if I could trust the floor strength.

Oh no, my sincere condolences, that's awful! Your new pleco as well... :( :rip:

I think I'd be marching down to petco in person with photos and demanding to see the manager like a proper Karen! But, I know those big stores tend not to care, and it's usually not the fault of the floor staff, who haven't been trained properly. It's the big wigs who write those policies.
A woman of my own heart! :) Yes, all fish are dead.

I would LOVE to go to the store with an attitude but that would be not productive. All it would do is to shut them down as to rectifying things. I will continue playing the part of the innocent victim. This tends to get better results as they want to resolve things while still keeping you as a customer. Trust me in the fact of playing the innocent victim gets you more than being hostile. Once things are done I will then become hostile and publicly advertise their lack.

I am so sorry. I went thru this in 2020 and it is heartbreaking. I bleached all my tanks, sold some. Kept a few guppies and 3 albino plecos and my clown pleco alive in a 29 and in my already bleached and restarted hex tank. It was an independent pet store that scooped water out of ich tanks to put the tetras I bought in. That or the tetras had hidden ich. And it was fast and only the tank I almost killed with meds got rid of ich. Then I lost them to residual neon tetra disease..... Broke my heart. Almost gave up the hobby entirely. I never did blast the store, I just shop elsewhere and when someone recommends them I say "I'll pass"

I am also liking the tank but kind of wish I had gotten a 30 gallon cube instead of the 20 gallon. I was just a bit afraid of going larger than the 20 gallon as I live in a third floor apartment and didn't know if I could trust the floor strength.
As an approximation, water is 8 lbs/gal, so a 30 gal would be 240 lbs plus tank and substrate and of course the stand. Call it 300 lb. Structures built to code should easily handle this load. Put it against a load bearing wall (exterior or near stairwell) and you have an extra margin of safety.

As an approximation, water is 8 lbs/gal, so a 30 gal would be 240 lbs plus tank and substrate and of course the stand. Call it 300 lb. Structures built to code should easily handle this load. Put it against a load bearing wall (exterior or near stairwell) and you have an extra margin of safety.
I've always heard 10 pounds per gallon.

8.3454 lbs/gal at maximum density
Can't we round to 10? Easier for everyone 🤣.
Doesn't make a difference when it's a 500 gallon aquarium. When you lift it, it's still the same outcome... You can't! 🤣

@jaylach That is a bad deal. I'm sorry to hear that happened. I never stopped to think that plants should be quarantined also until I read it somewhere last year. Quarantine plants at least a week and change the quarantine water daily. Too little too late for you but I think it's safe to assume that Petco lost your business.

Considering substrate and everything I estimate tank weight at 10 pounds per gallon.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back