Thanks for nothing Petco!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jaylach

Supporting Member
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I added plants from Petco 1.5-2 days ago and today all my corys are dead and I doubt that my black skirt tetras will make it. One of the plants was apparently infested with Ich. Yes, Plants can carry Ich.

Nothing else has been added to the tank except for the new plants. 2 days ago there was no issue or any indication of Ich. Today the corys are dead and the tetras are drastically covered in spots. Doing what I can but I doubt that the tetras will make it.

Had to be an extreme infestation as yesterday all still looked good but today dead corys and tetras seriously infected on bodies and fins. :(

I REALLY need to get a small isolation tank so I can quarantine before adding to my cube!

I added plants from Petco 1.5-2 days ago and today all my corys are dead and I doubt that my black skirt tetras will make it. One of the plants was apparently infested with Ich. Yes, Plants can carry Ich.

Nothing else has been added to the tank except for the new plants. 2 days ago there was no issue or any indication of Ich. Today the corys are dead and the tetras are drastically covered in spots. Doing what I can but I doubt that the tetras will make it.

Had to be an extreme infestation as yesterday all still looked good but today dead corys and tetras seriously infected on bodies and fins. :(

I REALLY need to get a small isolation tank so I can quarantine before adding to my cube!
OMG.
Thank you for that bit of knowledge.!!! I would have never known. My crabs eat Java ferns like savages and im Constantly buying new ones,

OMG.
Thank you for that bit of knowledge.!!! I would have never known. My crabs eat Java ferns like savages and im Constantly buying new ones,
Try anubias... They'll have fuuuuun with ripping that apart... (Hopefully they won't be able to, its like the most sturdy aquarium plant out there)

Try anubias... They'll have fuuuuun with ripping that apart... (Hopefully they won't be able to, its like the most sturdy aquarium plant out there)
Google said they like Java ferns, and they do, I’m sure they would enjoy anything, I’ve been looking but, everything seems so “ snippable “ within the first 5 seconds.

Can’t lie, I open the tank and throw it in. I don’t bother planting it, ripped out the next time I come back. The roots from the very first one are still floating in there and they’ve just started to produce new leaves.

Ah yes... Forgot to mention, sometimes plants carry ich

But seriously, so sorry that happened. I would request money from the company. Become THE Karen 😂... But this time Karen gots a point
I thought about getting retribution from Petco but won't happen as there is no way that I can prove that the infestation came from the plants even though there is really no other option.

Sigh, the tetras have started 'twitching' like spasms. I don't believe that I can save them. I MAY euthanize in the morning. What is the best way to euthanize these days?

Still it is partly my fault for not having a quarantine tank. Since my main is just a 20 gallon cube I'm not going to have large fish. A 2-3 gallon quarantine tank would probably suffice. Still even if the plants sat in quarantine for a week or whatever they could have still been infected.

While I can't say that I like the idea of getting live stuff mail order I think that I'm done with Petco. Heck, if nothing else they over price drastically. The food mix I feed my cockatiel is twice the price at Petco than at my local grocery store even though it is the exact same product.

Pictures of the fish so we can confirm white spot?

Do a 75-90% water change immediately.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

----------------------
Plants don't get white spot so unless they were in a tank that had fish that had white spot, it is unlikely the plants introduced white spot into your tank. Plants can transfer white spot parasites in contaminated water or on their leaves. However, unless they had a number of white spot cysts with them, and these were ready to hatch yesterday, it might not be white spot.

Were there fish in the plant tanks at the shop?
If yes, did those fish have white spot?
Did the shop put the plants in a bag and add water from another tank?

It is possible the plants had been contaminated by something and that has poisoned your fish. Providing pictures of the fish would let us confirm white spot or excess mucous or something else.

If white spot cysts are introduced into a tank, it is unlikely they would kill fish within 2 days.

Pictures of the fish so we can confirm white spot?

Do a 75-90% water change immediately.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

----------------------
Plants don't get white spot so unless they were in a tank that had fish that had white spot, it is unlikely the plants introduced white spot into your tank. Plants can transfer white spot parasites in contaminated water or on their leaves. However, unless they had a number of white spot cysts with them, and these were ready to hatch yesterday, it might not be white spot.

Were there fish in the plant tanks at the shop?
If yes, did those fish have white spot?
Did the shop put the plants in a bag and add water from another tank?

It is possible the plants had been contaminated by something and that has poisoned your fish. Providing pictures of the fish would let us confirm white spot or excess mucous or something else.

If white spot cysts are introduced into a tank, it is unlikely they would kill fish within 2 days.
Obviously you know a lot more than I but the article I linked previously states that plants CAN carry Ich. Plants don't actually GET Ich but can carry like 'Typhoid Mary'.

Already did 2 major water changes today.

The plants were in individual containers that already contained water. Where they were before in the containers I can't say. Please keep in mind that there was no indication of any issue yesterday.

This image looks more fungal than Ich but I'm no kind of expert.
IMG_2323.JPG

This one looks more like Ich.
IMG_2326.JPG

This one sort of looks like it might be a worm type infection.
IMG_2330.JPG

In any case I think they are beyond saving. PLEASE keep in mind that this has all happened in one day. Yesterday all the fish appeared fine.

Ya, I'm going away from Ich myself. I'm now more thinking fungal. What ever it is it is VERY aggressive.
Have you tried lots of water changes and salt? Usually salt helps with fungal infections.

I've done water changes but it was not possible for me to go out today to get usable salt.
Ok. Try to get that. Its very useful in these situations

The black skirt tetras are covered in excess mucous caused by something in the water irritating them. There was obviously something in the water or pots with the new plants that has affected the fish.

Do a big water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before adding it to the tank.

Add some carbon to the filter for a week. Activated carbon is better than normal plain old carbon.

------------------
Contact the shop and let them know what has happened and ask them what was in the containers with the plants. Do it in writing too (email and phone call if possible).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back